Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1633385  by Gilbert B Norman

The renderings Mr. Rich submitted would certainly suggest that METRA "sees the light" regarding their greatly reduced need for locomotive hauled/pushed equipment in the post-COVID mass transit world.

DMU sets that could be coupled together, such as there is overseas, for "peak period" trains would appear to be "the way to go".

Now if only there were a way out of the 200 car Coradia order, which I readily acknowledge was placed in good faith but on "COVID-Eve", resulting in a wrong equipment at the wrong time situation. Perhaps with the financial difficulties that are now reported by the Journal as well as through the Financial press, there will be a way out for METRA.

Only problem; Amtrak has their Acela replacement fleet "tied up" with them, for which some 25% of the sets have been completed, but none to date have been accepted by Amtrak.
 #1633518  by TurningOfTheWheel

It's frankly absurd that Metra feels as if they can't electrify the few tracks they actually own and instead need to go for a fully battery solution.

A range-extending battery for service to Joliet would be understandable, but fully battery trainsets on publicly owned tracks is damning.
 #1633519  by eolesen

Why is that absurd?

With the exception of Caltrans, where else has there been a voluntary electrification of an existing commuter rail corridor?

Metra has over 50 years of experience operating a fully electric line and operating multiple diesel lines. While state agencies are not known for being driven by economic gravity, but it's possible that has driven their *not* even studying electrification of the lines they use exclusively.
 #1633639  by west point

METRA has absolutely no experience with modern 60 Hz electric computer operation. It may be their experience with the many substations, heavy conductors, and DC traction motors has soured it on any expansion to other routes. What METRA should do is order dual modes for the present METRA electric lines and when enough on line convert CAT to 60 Hz AC. The only agency with anything close is MNRR with its hybrid AC/DC EMUs. Only now is Go transit and Caltrain starting an all 60 Hz operation to make North American comparisons.

Have to wonder how much is the reduced power and maintenance expenses?

Metra does have to solve the clearance problems at CHI union station.
 #1633649  by DominikW118

TurningOfTheWheel wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:05 pm It's frankly absurd that Metra feels as if they can't electrify the few tracks they actually own and instead need to go for a fully battery solution.

A range-extending battery for service to Joliet would be understandable, but fully battery trainsets on publicly owned tracks is damning.
I would like to also point out that Metra's budget is barely holding up, and they only have a few years until they have serious problems. Given how the state has been fairly incompetent at funding transit (in general), I wouldn't hold my breath for any changes, especially the ones from the CMAP report, until it actually (if ever) happens. Also freight railroads. Some play nicely (BNSF), others not so much (CPKC).

It would be nice, and I think we can all agree that it would be extremely beneficial if Metra had a completely electrified system, with an improved CUS, but I have to be realistic here. I don't have high hopes. The fact that they are doing this is stunning. Metra loves it's diesel locomotives to a fault.
 #1633658  by eolesen

Actually, Metra's funding is fairly adequate with a farebox recovery rate that is 50% by statute, and the State has decent rail and transit funding in comparison to other priorities. But you're right that there's a fiscal cliff coming, and a declining tax base. Something will have to give.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1633661  by justalurker66

west point wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:21 pmMETRA has absolutely no experience with modern 60 Hz electric computer operation. It may be their experience with the many substations, heavy conductors, and DC traction motors has soured it on any expansion to other routes.
NICTD South Shore has converted to AC traction motors. It doesn't take rewiring the entire physical plant to use AC motors.
 #1633700  by TurningOfTheWheel

west point wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:21 pm METRA has absolutely no experience with modern 60 Hz electric computer operation. It may be their experience with the many substations, heavy conductors, and DC traction motors has soured it on any expansion to other routes.
For what it's worth, Metra does have experience with AC traction motors, as the new(ish) Highliner equipment has modern IGBT-VVVF drives. They've seen a maintenance benefit as well—one of the benefits of the SD70 purchase they highlighted was the increased reliability on their modern Highliner equipment vs the DC drives on their existing locomotive fleet.
 #1633712  by eolesen

All good points. And none of them point to why Metra should be considering electrification.

While they've gotten the operating funds, they are indeed at a financial cliff.

The SD70MACH orders are going to help replace 23 of the F40PH-2's and another 18-20 of the F40PH-3's.

The PH-3 rebuild that started taking deliveries in 2010 was only supposed to add 10-13 years of service life, but we're already at that 13 year mark, so there are another 50-75 locomotives needed. Do they chase more SD70MACHs or perhaps try to cut a deal for F125's since that frame went nowhere. Not sure if Progress would rather sell those new models on the cheap, or do the rebuilds.

Either way, Metra needs more power, and there's no funding for that let alone trying to do a partial electrification.
 #1633716  by RandallW

I'm under the impression Progress is not sitting on lots of parts with which to build new F125s "on the cheap", but I'm also under the impression that if someone wanted to purchase a number of rebuilt passenger power in the near future, there will be a number of used GE P42s on the market soon.
 #1635919  by Tadman

Another political joke.

Could hang catenary at Indian Railways (freight-safe) height over BNSF, Rock, and UP and plug it in to the nukes that Exelon owns.

But instead we're pretending that batteries work well.

We'll have a great discussion in 20 years about "stop talking about the failed battery trains they are not coming back"

#1636037  by Nasadowsk

There’s already examples of double stacks under the wire in the Philly area.

The height issues don’t exist.

The phase imbalance issues never existed - the French and British never encountered them.

The performance advantages are real enough, my understanding is Caltrain is looking at chopping better than 10-15 minutes off their line with electrics.

The jury is out on how well Stadler’s battery units will work, but if they don’t, going DMU or EMU is literally a drop in conversion.

But, for main line operations, it’s insane that Metra is still diesel, especially in a state that is drowning in nuclear power.

Diesels are loud, slow, dirty, and have no place in regional transit, beyond short branch lines that can use DMUs.
 #1636064  by eolesen

It's a state drowning in nuclear fuel... but there is still an active moratorium against the construction of new plants, and both Byron and Dresden are set for retirement within the next four years (Zion was retired years ago).

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk