Railroad Forums 

• Merry Christmas

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1363108  by Allen Hazen

And also to you!

And thank you for the photographs you periodically post: I usually have no comment to make, so don't reply. But I am grateful!
 #1363224  by Tommy Meehan

I wanted to add a Christmas image too. This is from the December 1954 issue of New York Central's Central Headlight, the company employee magazine. I don't think the location needs identifying but the caption read:

Holiday Greetings!

#1363256  by Noel Weaver

Seeing that photo of Grand Central Terminal reminds me of way back when the New York Central and the New Haven had an organist and a Hammond Organ on the mezzanine (I know it was not a pipe organ but it still sounded nice) and sometimes a choral group or choir doing Christmas Music. It sounded really good in that space.
It is presently around 80 here in Pompano Beach, Florida and please let me wish all of you on here a very MERRY CHRISTMAS. I celebrated last night so today I will lay low. I loved the shot of the J-3 as well.
Noel Weaver
 #1363281  by Tommy Meehan

I found a photo, in the Central's January 1954 issue of Central Headlight, of the 1953 Christmas season organist at Grand Central. Not the greatest photo though. By the way, if you are unable to read the caption, the choir shown at the right is actually the Kodak mural and a huge photo of the boy's choir at the Church of the Reformation in Rochester NY:

It was a tradition at many Central stations including at Union Station in Indianapolis (though this was a station jointly owned by NYC, Pennsy, B&O, Monon and Nickel Plate):

This is a holiday scene from the west balcony at GCT. Not sure of the year but it's probably late 1940s or early 1950s: