Railroad Forums 

• Memphis trolleys

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#876181  by n2xjk

I was in Memphis for two days last week, my first visit. Since the Memphis trolley system doesn't appear to have been mentioned in this forum yet, here are a few snap shots of the system. There are three lines, but the Madison Avenue line was closed for repairs, leaving the Main Street and Riverfront Loop lines in operation.

The fleet consists mostly of former Melbourne W class cars. The red deck roof car seen in pictures 7 and 9 is a former Rio open bench car modified to be a closed car. There is also a Porto car and a couple Gomaco built cars in the fleet, but they weren't out and about at the times I was shooting. Picture 8 is the barn lead with cars on it in the distance (beyond the northernmost stop on Main Street).

#945102  by hotbike

Thank You,
I visited Memphis in 1991, and I noticed that the street trackage was never ripped out. Good as new.