Railroad Forums 

• Mechanic position

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1256284  by madmax52

I have applied for a couple of mechanic positions at BNSF, I am wondering what kind of tools specific to the railroad that I'll need are. Will the company provide certain tools or stipends? I have auto mechanics tools and I've been buying aviation tools recently because I am in an aviation school at the moment.
 #1256749  by trvr815

You will not need any tools. They will all be provided. It's all big, aviation small.
Are you working on your airframe or PP?
Are you aviation or RR for the future? I ask because you will not use what you learn in A&P school on the RR. They train you and that's that.
 #1256752  by madmax52

trvr815 wrote:You will not need any tools. They will all be provided. It's all big, aviation small.
Are you working on your airframe or PP?
Are you aviation or RR for the future? I ask because you will not use what you learn in A&P school on the RR. They train you and that's that.
I have completed general and I am about half way through Airframe right now. So far aviation is okay at best. I don't see myself doing it long term. I'm learning some interesting things in school, but it's not what I really want. I can forsee rail road life being much more fruitful in the long run. It seems like there is more stability in it. Everyone that I talk to in aviation says that the longest most people will spend at one job is about 6 years then it's time to move on. I'm kind of a homebody if you will. I mean I did spend 9 years on the army. I guess I don't like changing employers.

What is mechanic life like in the RR? Is it really 40 hour weeks like the postings that I have been reading or is there significantly more overtime involved? I can deal working with big stuff. I was a track vehicle mechanic for a while so it'll be interesting to work on something bigger.

Thanks
 #1256767  by trvr815

I have an A&P and worked at the airlines. Also a bachelors degree in aviation management. I now work for UP in mechanical and don't like it (1yr.). It's pretty boring when compared to the airlines. I'm on my way out to train service.

If you like the shop atmosphere - I dont- it will be stable and a good choice for a 'home body'. OT, oh yes. Probably lots of it. The RRs are doing fantastic and don't look to be slowing any time soon. BNSF is a great company. 100K shouldn't be a problem. They love military. Also, RR retirement is great!
As for A&P, once you get hired, that's if you do, I would not waste any more time or effort in aviation.
The only airline I would consider is SW and good luck getting in there.
Hope this helps
 #1256802  by madmax52

Thanks for the info Trvr815. I'm going to continue with the school until I can get hired on somewhere. I am using my GI bill and it's helping keep the bills somewhat paid while I'm unemployed, but I need to get back to work.
 #1256864  by Freddy

When you say Mechanic do you mean in a car shop environment or as a Roadway Mechanic who would be assigned to follow a certain type of track gang, repairing and maintaining different track machinery?
 #1256873  by madmax52

Freddy wrote:When you say Mechanic do you mean in a car shop environment or as a Roadway Mechanic who would be assigned to follow a certain type of track gang, repairing and maintaining different track machinery?
I applied for a Locomotive mechanic position in a shop with BNSF at the Haslett location in Texas and a "Diesel Mechanic position in Shelby County KY with CSX. The csx position does not state whether or not it'll be a shop environment or outside.
 #1256878  by Freddy

OK, sounds like both with be in the shops. Good luck, hope you get one or the other.
 #1256920  by slchub

Continue with your education until you get hired. If you can pick up the tools for your A&P through the G.I. Bill then do it.

The best bet in getting hired on with a Class 1 railroad would be as follows in my opinion:

BNSF
UP
Amtrak
NS
CSX

Once you are on-board you are pretty much set for life. There are so many options as one of the other guys mentioned as far as what union craft you want to go with. If invited provide as much information about your safety background and the importance of safety in a team environment.

Good luck.
 #1256948  by madmax52

slchub wrote:Continue with your education until you get hired. If you can pick up the tools for your A&P through the G.I. Bill then do it.

The best bet in getting hired on with a Class 1 railroad would be as follows in my opinion:

BNSF
UP
Amtrak
NS
CSX

Once you are on-board you are pretty much set for life. There are so many options as one of the other guys mentioned as far as what union craft you want to go with. If invited provide as much information about your safety background and the importance of safety in a team environment.

Good luck.
Thanks Slchub. That is my current plant. I have picked up some good stuff in the A&P school. I've gotten some extra knowledge on hydraulics and pneumatics. We've also taken 3 electronics classes one of which includes AC and DC generators which might prove useful. I have a pretty good safety background also. After my time as an army mechanic I went into Explosive Ordnance Disposal and was a Team leader, meaning I got to put on the bomb suit and make the long walk. I don't work there anymore.
 #1256963  by trvr815

Concentrate on BN and the UP. I really won't mess with the other 2 unless the 1st 2 don't work out. Your in a good area as well. Texas is BOOMING!

Good luck.