Railroad Forums 

• MEC Caboose Questions

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1295532  by mwhite

I recently purchased MEC caboose 610. I'm wondering if anyone has any historical information on the caboose or the series. Also would like to see photos of the interior taken while they were in service. Thanks!
 #1295590  by mwhite

The close-up shot I have seen, but not the other one. I have a couple other photos given to me by a friend that I will try to post in the next couple of days.

Does anyone know if the stencils used for the herald and other lettering still exist?
 #1295595  by Mikejf

Did you purchase the actual caboose or a model? I know someone that makes the decals, and can also do vinyl letters for full size, and may be able to create a stencil on his vinyl machine
 #1295633  by mwhite

The actual caboose. All 21 tons of it. We've lived in the same house for 19 years and I had no idea it was seven miles away until my wife heard the lady who owned it was going to get a scrapper to cut it up!
 #1295669  by mwhite

Mikejf, I'd be interested in speaking with the person who makes the decals to see if he has the correct herald and can make the stencil etc.
 #1295736  by Dick H

Kudos to Mr. White for saving this MEC caboose. Best of luck with your new acquisition.
 #1295885  by Watchman318

Dick H wrote:Kudos to Mr. White for saving this MEC caboose. Best of luck with your new acquisition.
Ditto. Looking for the imaginary "Like button" for this thread. :wink:

Any idea what the number/heritage is on the one off Toll Bridge Rd. in Thomaston? I was wondering if that might help you in your quest for more info. I haven't seen it in years, but in a satellite view, it appears to still be there.

Preservation is good.
 #1295899  by MEC407

I suspect the herald stencils (or a very accurate reproduction) may still be available at Pan Am's Waterville shop, considering what they did with ST GP9 #52 a couple of years ago.
 #1295976  by mwhite

Thanks - I've already been working a connection I have at Pan Am on this, but unfortunately he hasn't gotten back to me as of yet.
 #1298247  by mwhite

Does anyone have a Maine Central caboose key? I can get a new one from Adams & Westlake, but they need to see what it looks like.