Railroad Forums 

• MDDE Observations

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#284662  by PVRX1

Massey: 1202 in service
1201 stored, 801 stored serviceable

Federalsburg: 2628 in service
1203 out of service

Selbyville: 2630 in service
2632 in service

802 apparently still out on lease in Wilmington

#287096  by Legio X

What types of locomotives are these?

#287261  by RS-3

What a good day to catch the Massey line working? (I know its "as needed" but any one day better than thers? Any "typical" operating plan re the various branches?)

Thanks,

RS-3

#287532  by VaCentralRwy

RS3M: 1201, 1202, 1203
CF7: 2628, 2630, 2632
SW900: 801, 802

Good luck on the Massey line, the 1202 arrived back light after running to the interchange at 1 p.m. today. 801 was inside the shop for a little maintenance and 1201 was sitting outside o/s. Traffic should pick up when the fall grain harvest begins (for what it is, we've had a major drought on Delmarva.)
Best bet: pick up the phone and call. They're pretty friendly.

#288622  by PVRX1

The company website www.mdde.com gives a good idea of what goes on. Remember though, its "as needed". I have had persistant bad luck on the snow Hill Line.

#289043  by Sand Box John

Virtually all of the grain grown on the eastern shore stays on the eastern shore to feed the chicken producing industry. Most if not all of the traffic is inbound to supplement locally grown feed grain. The Snow Hill feed mill doesn't even have facilities for loading outbound cars.
 #289558  by MDDE_Fan

PVRX1 wrote:Massey: 1202 in service
1201 stored, 801 stored serviceable

Federalsburg: 2628 in service
1203 out of service

Selbyville: 2630 in service
2632 in service

802 apparently still out on lease in Wilmington
I know 1203 is in the shops for some sort of work. I really wanna get down to Massey or Selbyville though. Btw does anyone have a pic of 802? I've never seen a pic of her.. :(
What happend to 801?

And yeah, just call there office and ask.

#289599  by VaCentralRwy

As I said a few posts back, 801 was inside the Massey enginehouse for a little light maintenance.

#289798  by RailVet

Each year on the first Saturday in October (7 Oct this year), the town of Hurlock, MD, holds its annual town festival, which includes rides on the MD&DE RR from Hurlock to Federalsburg and back. For more information on the festival, see

www.hurlockmd.net/events.html

The line sustained damage during June's flood, but a town official told me the trains would indeed run again during this year's festival. She was unable, however, to tell me the schedule. Ticket prices are invariably quite inexpensive.

Does anyone know for certain if the rides will be offered again this year and on what schedule the train will run? Typically the rides are an hour long and the train departs from Hurlock every 90 minutes.

#290286  by MDDE_Fan

I'll be there! Last year they started about noon or one, I cant really remember, I was to busy getting pics...
I had more but lost them in a computer crash. :(
I wonder if 2628 will be the power this year...

#290349  by Legio X

Who provides the coaches for these excursions on the MDDE during this festival?

#290390  by VaCentralRwy

They are ever courteous down here on Delmarva. The coaches used for the Hurlock Town festival are, of course, owned by the Town of Hurlock. When not in use, they set on a siding in Hurlock. They've occasionally been used for other exciting movements like when the Delmarva Chicken Festival is along a MDDE route.
Hey Legio X, think of a town on Long Island owning two coaches for use in excursions for one day a year. I can already see the Newsday investigation...

#290635  by Sand Box John

"VaCentralRwy"
They are ever courteous down here on Delmarva. The coaches used for the Hurlock Town festival are, of course, owned by the Town of Hurlock. When not in use, they set on a siding in Hurlock. They've occasionally been used for other exciting movements like when the Delmarva Chicken Festival is along a MDDE route.

I was disappointed that the folks that put on this years Delmarva Chicken Festival in Snow Hill didn’t make use of the Hurlock owned coaches for runs on the Snow Hill line. I don’t know if it was suggested, if it was I have a pretty good idea why it was rejected.
 #293817  by caboose9

Hi,

At one time, steel, bay window, MDDE 2001, nee SOU X385, caboose was reported as used/stored at Tyson Feed Mill, Snow Hill, MD, but is now reported as "not there/gone".

Is this caboose used on a regular basis or is it parked/stored somewhere else on the MDDE?

Thanks, Roger

#309025  by MDDE_Fan

Sorry, Not sure Roger.
But, Does anyone know what happened to MDDE 1203?
I was just in Federalsburg, Stopped by the engine house, Saw 2628 where 1203 normally was, so I went on the other side and she wasn't there? :(