• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by daylight4449

ACeInTheHole wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:Just to add on to what 1118 wrote, the P&W booted MPI and the T out of their Worcester shops many months ago
Probably was causing problems for their own engines accomodating so many HSPs
I drive by their shop a number of times a week... The HSPs owned the joint. They had room out front for their stuff, but not much else...
  by Backshophoss

The prime movers and inverters were supplied by GE,if the problem is in the Inverters,
that's GE's problem,some of GE's vendors/suppliers have had quality control issues in the past
(remember all the turbocharger failures GE had :P )
  by GP40MC1118

2034 was back from Erie the other week and promptly sent to Rochester.

2004 still out to Erie

2017 was sent to Rochester Saturday

D
  by DutchRailnut

visible smoke has nothing to do with it.
  by Bramdeisroberts

BandA wrote:Is there supposed to be visible smoke in the exhaust of a Tier-III locomotive?
It depends on whether Tier III regulations care about particulates.

From what gather, the Tier-X requirements focus more on greenhouse gas emissions than particulate outputs.
  by MEC407

There is definitely a particulate component in the regulations, but to answer the original question, yes, you will certainly see some occasional smoke from Tier 3 locomotives from time to time. EMD and GE alike.
  by Bramdeisroberts

Oh I'm sure there is, I'm guessing that it's simply nowhere near as stringent as the regs for new on-road diesels are.

I can only imagine the blowback from a loco going dead mid-trip because the prime mover had to do another re-gen cycle on the particulate filter.
  by NaugyRR

Bramdeisroberts wrote:Oh I'm sure there is, I'm guessing that it's simply nowhere near as stringent as the regs for new on-road diesels are.

I can only imagine the blowback from a loco going dead mid-trip because the prime mover had to do another re-gen cycle on the particulate filter.
How would the locomotive die from going into re-gen? I'm curious because the Tier-4 tractors and skid-steers I work with can be operated normally during their re-gen. They will usually announce that they are in their cycle through an idiot light on the instrument panel or a message on the display, but typically operating the unit through the cycle is encouraged. In fact, stopping or shutting down the unit during re-gen is advised against.

Do locomotives bypass the generator and axle motors during re-gen? That's the only way I could see a locomotive getting K.I.A. during re-gen. On the ag equipment, the exhaust gasses need to get HOT for the EGR/afterburner to be effective in purging the particulate filter, I can't imagine a locomotive prime mover being too different.