Railroad Forums 

• Massapequa and Wantagh Station Renovations

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1185928  by lirr42

The Pocket Track will be going in in between Massapequa and Massapequa Park, most likely in between the two tracks, which are platform width apart for that entire stretch.

There is track replacement program going on over the summer in between Wantagh and Amityville, so the loose materials might be for that upcoming project, which is expected to begin shortly after the next schedule change (Monday the 20th).
 #1187049  by MattAmity90

lirr42 wrote:The Pocket Track will be going in in between Massapequa and Massapequa Park, most likely in between the two tracks, which are platform width apart for that entire stretch.

There is track replacement program going on over the summer in between Wantagh and Amityville, so the loose materials might be for that upcoming project, which is expected to begin shortly after the next schedule change (Monday the 20th).
Can you say new signals and switches!
 #1188243  by MattAmity90

Actually I think it would be a good to do the "V" shaped switches on both ends of the pocket track, that way when a track is out for some reason, it can be used as a detour track. Although this could actually turn it into a new interlocking! It would look like this:

==============================================================================================================================================

SWITCHES ================================================================================================================= SWITCHES

==============================================================================================================================================

They could also do the same thing in between Massapequa Park and Amityville because after the viaduct ends, the tracks remain platform-width apart until they go over Unqua Road. I'm guessing a signal bridge(s) or signals and switches would be installed.
 #1188539  by lirr42

Backshophoss wrote:If switches are put in at the east end of the Pocket track,most likely will be electric locked hand throws on the mainlines with derails on
the diverging route.
I'm just trying to think if they're going to but crossovers in there of some sort too. I would imagine if they are going to put the new pocket track in the middle of the two tracks that are there (see the two photos halfway down this page--sorry they were to big to post here), now I'm just wondering if they are just going to do a plain pocket track and leave it at that, or are they going to put a pair of crossovers in someplace to allow trains to switch tracks there (adding flexibility along the line) or are they going to set it up that you can switch between tracks via the pocket track (sort of like how Track M works compass north of Mount Kisco on the Harlem Line--a train wanting to swtich tracks would leave the station on the first track, enter the pocket track, run along the pocket track until its end, then merging into the second track at the end of the pocket track.
 #1188547  by Backshophoss

The Mt Kisco Middle allowed access to both mains at both ends,as I understand the Pocket track will access both mains at the west end,
all switches will be dual control,having a "back door" at the east end would be handy to have but not a full time "need" so electic locked
hand throws would work.

"Sticking in" a "universal crossover" along with the Pocket track would only add big $$$$ to the project.
 #1188587  by MattAmity90

What I meant was having the pocket track in the middle of course, but with no crossover switches in the middle, just switches that will give Tracks 1 and 2 next to Massapequa access to the pocket in the shape of a V, and do the same at the other end next to Massapequa Park instead of adding a bumper stop, so that way not only could trains originate and terminate at Massapequa but also at MP because trains terminate and originate there as well. It would also be great if they did it to the East of MP and add a pocket track with the same configuration.
 #1198810  by lirr42

I had the pleasure of traveling down the Babylon Branch this morning thanks to a series of service disruptions that included 2703 having equipment trouble in Southampton, only to be revived to crap out again at Speonk.

In the few moments it took to pass Massapequa station it appears that they have put up a blue plywood wall surrounding the section they are working on (presumably so the workers can play their card games in peace).

I'll be in the area over the weekend and I'll check out the progress of the rehabilitation more thoroughly.
 #1199174  by bellstbarn

Massapequa Creek 7.3.2013 by sphoto33, on Flickr
Above, looking east.
----
Massapequa Creek 7.3.2013 by sphoto33, on Flickr
Looking west below the three bridges.
----
The bridge for the new pocket track was hoisted into position sometime Friday, June 28, 2013. The photo below was taken that morning.
----
Massapequa: Bridge for pocket track. by sphoto33, on Flickr
 #1200168  by lirr42

I visited the station Friday afternoon to check out the progress being made. However, gazing down the tracks from the end of the platform, it looks like they have put a 60 m.p.h. speed restriction through the area while the work is being done.

I'll post photos later.
 #1201077  by bellstbarn

Mistakenly, I thought the crane would be removing the canopy this week. Instead, the project is asbestos removal before the canopy is disturbed. That probably explains the blue box that encloses the work area.

Massapequa LIRR by sphoto33, on Flickr

Turning east, away from the posted notices, these views show why the work is needed.

#1205630  by MattAmity90

It's been a while since we have heard any updates on the project. I was just wondering how far we've gone into it and if anything has really changed.

I know the following has happened:

1.) Bridge abutment placed over the reserve creek has been installed.
2.) Asbestos removal.
3.) First phase section of station platform work fenced off and boarded up.

I was also wondering if the station demolition and rebuilding was going to change a few other things that I don't know.

I know the following will change:

1.) Pocket track to the East of the station.
2.) New structure with everything brand spanking new.
3.) Changes to parking lots.

Are the power lines going to be affected in anyway shape or form, fencing on both embankments, and switches to the pocket track West of Massapequa Park?