Railroad Forums 

• MAS CSX to Cumberland

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1591165  by scratchyX1

I noticed it takes an hour longer to take capital limited to Cumberland than driving.
If the MAS is 79 mph on the ex b and o, it should be not as different .
Why is it longer?
 #1591221  by Pensyfan19

The usual. Traffic with CSX in regions that have more than enough room to add another track, but neither side wants to pay for it. Not to mention, there's no express version of the Capital Limited that only stops at major cities, so you also have to stop for small towns in rural MD and OH which take some time. Furthermore, the fallen flag counterparts of almost every Amtrak train that's limited to 79 due to PTC went at least 90 or 100 at one point (look at the Milwaukee Road!). Upgrades in tracks and signaling are therefore necessary to increase speeds from the federally mandated 79; upgrades which can best be paid for by companies with more funding to do so (such as Brightline and FEC).
 #1591238  by scratchyX1

It's the same between DC and Martinsburg, it looks like the hour is lost between there and Cumberland, where there are no stops.
I'm guessing the slow down is from following the river.
 #1591243  by johnpbarlow

Per the January 1, 2005 edition of the CSX Northern Region Baltimore Timetable (for employees), the MAS for passenger trains on the Cumberland Subdivision for the double track from Weverton, MD (just west of Brunswick MD) to Cumberland MD varies between 40 mph and 65 mph with a 30 mph restriction at Patterson Creek interlocking. See pages 28-31 in the .pdf posted below for speed annotated track diagram.

Net: there is no 79 mph MAS along this route and for the majority of the distance, the MAS is << interstate highway max speeds.

http://www.multimodalways.org/docs/rail ... 1-2005.pdf
 #1591248  by scratchyX1

I was going by the track speeds on the Met, on the last RDC excursions that ran on it.
I guess that was a long time ago, and CSX no longer feels the need to maintain to those high standards.
Last edited by nomis on Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed immediate quote
 #1591401  by danib62

It's weird because Maryland is talking about potentially extending MARC service to CUM. Who the heck is going to want to commute CUM to WAS when it's three hours each way though?
 #1591414  by scratchyX1

Not commute, but I could see weekend demand (starting Friday evening )
For a train that drops folks off at harpers ferry, Hancock ( with nice busses to Berkeley springs), greenspring ( timed to transfer to the SBV Potomac eagle),
And Cumberland, stop at the WM station
 #1591434  by scratchyX1

The Cumberland Cannonball, which has the male train crew members with mustaches, and other references to a film from 1981.
 #1591472  by gprimr1

I believe it's padding. It's the same reason I believe the Silver Service LDs are scheduled to take an hour to go from Alexandria to Union Station.
 #1594481  by jhdeasy

scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:31 pm The Cumberland Cannonball, which has the male train crew members with mustaches, and other references to a film from 1981.
Perhaps STrRedWolf was referring to LIRR’s summer season Cannonball between NY Penn Station and Montauk, both eastbound and westbound.
 #1594485  by Gilbert B Norman

Agree that likely this the train to which Messrs. Deasy and Wolf refer:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Cannon ... 4_Ziel.jpg

And yes, you as a paying passenger, could sit out on the open platform with a Scotch in hand; "been there done that" myself in this life.

I understand there is still some kind of premium service offered by the LIRR to The Hamptons, but I guess that's nowadays for "the Help" of the Party Coordinator, Executive Chef, or musician varietal.
 #1594562  by STrRedWolf

jhdeasy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:13 am
scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:31 pm The Cumberland Cannonball, which has the male train crew members with mustaches, and other references to a film from 1981.
Perhaps STrRedWolf was referring to LIRR’s summer season Cannonball between NY Penn Station and Montauk, both eastbound and westbound.
Yes. In addition, MBTA and Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority also have a similar run, the Cape Flyer, where this can be patterned off of.