• MARC's electric locomotives

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by HokieNav

realtype wrote:Picture that I took of AEM-7 4903 @ WAS this morning:

http://flickr.com/photos/7367453@N08/23 ... /?edited=1

This one seems to be put in service sporadically; I've only seen it every couple of weeks or so. The other 3 AEM-7s are probably still in Wilmington being overhauled, but are due back later this year I think.
I have noticed in the last few days that there have been some Amtrak AEM-7's hauling MARC trains, too.

Looks like there may be an HHP-8 or two out of service that they're trying to fill the gap for.

by realtype

HokieNav wrote:I have noticed in the last few days that there have been some Amtrak AEM-7's hauling MARC trains, too.

Looks like there may be an HHP-8 or two out of service that they're trying to fill the gap for.
Yeah, I've also seen the AMTK AEM-7s pulling MARC trains a couple times over the past few months. I'm sure its because of MARC HHP-8s undergoing maintenance. Because MARC can't sub their GP40s for electric locomotives on trains over 6 cars long, and since three of the AEM7s are being rebuilt, they have to borrow Amtrak equipment. I've never seen a MARC train powered by an Amtrak HHP-8 though. Amtrak probably can't spare its relatively few HHP-8s which it uses to pull 8+ car trains on the NEC.
  by realtype

MARC 408, which usually uses a GP40, had an Amtrak AEM-7 powering it this morning.
  by amtrakhogger

realtype wrote:MARC 408, which usually uses a GP40, had an Amtrak AEM-7 powering it this morning.
408 had the 924 for power this morning.