• MARC's electric locomotives

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by chuchubob

MACTRAXX wrote:...Those trains were laid up at Baltimore,right? How many were there if so? ...Thanks-MACTRAXX
One photo was Baltimore, one was Washington. I photographed what I saw; I wasn't in a position to count trains or Armadillos.
  by polybalt

MARCs 10 electric locos cover all Penn Line service am I right?
I don't think MARC has ever had enough of the electrics actually running to provide 100% of the rush hour service on the Penn line. Maintenance, repairs, and installation of upgrades is done by Amtrak and they take care of their own motors first, then MARC's. At any rate, mid-day service on the Penn Line is provided by shorter diesel-powered train sets that arrive in Washington each morning off the Brunswick line. The electric powered train sets lay up in Washington all day.

Pete Schmidt

by gprimr1

MTA tries to deploy the electrics to cover the longest trains on the Penn Line.

With ridership low and the price of electric high during the off times, they use Camden line trainsets from about 10am-2pm.

There often is a deadhead move south since the Camden line trainsets have to cross back to CSX at Union Station.

by acela 2036

Can someone answer this? Marc and NJ Transit both have electric locomotives and also have equipment that is qualified to go over 100MPH. My question is, who runs faster speed? Marc or NJ transit?

by pennsy

Hi All,

While I can understand the term "meat balls" for the AEM-7, it still doesn't sit too well. I prefer what the enginemen and crew call them, "Toasters".

by writerthesp77

acela 2036 wrote:Can someone answer this? Marc and NJ Transit both have electric locomotives and also have equipment that is qualified to go over 100MPH. My question is, who runs faster speed? Marc or NJ transit?
If I'm not mistaken, NJT doesn't allow any of their equipment to operate above 100MPH. MARC, at least between Seabrook/Lanham and BWI-M, reaches upwards of 125 during express runs, I believe.

by acs85

TRAINS Magazine states it definitively:
MARC operates the fastest commuter trains in North America, using electric locomotives that race along the Penn Line at speeds of up to 125 miles per hour...
http://www.trains.com/trn/default.aspx?c=a&id=398

by amtrakhogger

pennsy wrote:Hi All,

While I can understand the term "meat balls" for the AEM-7, it still doesn't sit too well. I prefer what the enginemen and crew call them, "Toasters".
What enginemen call them toasters? We (Amtrak engineers) call them "meatballs."

by cpontani

What equipment is running 125 mph?

by acs85

The HHP-8s.

by realtype

Can't the AEM-7s operate at 125mph also?

by cpontani

acs85 wrote:The HHP-8s.
Pulling which cars?

by burkeman

Marc AEM7's can operate at 125 because I ran one that was apart of an amtrak train.

by writerthesp77

cpontani wrote:
acs85 wrote:The HHP-8s.
Pulling which cars?
Kawasaki MARC III Bi-levels.

by HokieNav

writerthesp77 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, NJT doesn't allow any of their equipment to operate above 100MPH. MARC, at least between Seabrook/Lanham and BWI-M, reaches upwards of 125 during express runs, I believe.
I've seen 109 between Union Station and New Carrollton on the GPS and the high 90's between Seabrook and Odenton on the GPS that I'll carry sometimes.

I get off on Odenton, I'll have to switch up and ride the express a time or two and see what we get up to. :)