• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MattAmity90

Head-end View wrote:Very sharp looking! I like the high-visibility yellow. But we probably still won't be able to see out the front just like on the friggin' M-7's. Interesting that MTA is re-using the M-1 numbering. I still remember the day in 1969 when I first rode M-1's 9001-9002.
Those were great times, even though it happened 20 years before I was born, still wish I was alive back then. How much can I guarantee that they will add more yellow to the M7 cars like they did to the M1's? In my opinion the M1's/M3's should have stuck with 1000 series as I stated above, and the M7's are numbered correctly but since there is supposed to be over 200 M9 cars delivered, they are going to go past the 7000 threshold since we have 834 M7 cars (7001-7834).
  by Head-end View

Matt, just a point of trivia accuracy; there are 836 M-7's and I have seen the last pair, 7835/7836.
  by MattAmity90

Head-end View wrote:Matt, just a point of trivia accuracy; there are 836 M-7's and I have seen the last pair, 7835/7836.
Sorry about that, haven't discussed the M7 in a while, feels like my mind is slipping away.
  by MACTRAXX

Fan Railer wrote:M9 prototype:
Everyone:

Good photo of the prototype M9 car - I am not the first to notice the re-use of the 9000 series for car numbers...

I would rather see this front end in bright orange or perhaps red - I have never liked the use of yellow on the front ends of LIRR
MU cars - which began when Robin H.H. Wilson was LIRR President in 1982-83 and was his idea - and the M9 front end reminds me
of Melbourne (Australia) Metro Trains (commuter rail) MU fleet which use yellow front ends in a similar type to the LIRR MU cars...

One of my favorite color combinations is bright orange and royal blue (for that matter NY Mets colors) and I feel that they would
look fine on the LIRR MU cars - Orange has a precedent because it was used on the front ends of the old LIRR MU fleet back in the
days before the M1 MU fleet replaced them between late 1968 and 1972...

I feel that reflectorized or "safety" red could have looked good on the front ends of the LIRR MU fleet - I have read mention that this
could lead to confusion with MNCR's New Haven Line MU fleet - I disagree because the LIRR is a different railroad - and to me red
would appear better then yellow does - but in this case orange would be the best "compromise" color that probably most everyone
could live with - a prototype M9 front end in orange for a color test would be a good idea here - and when the MNCR M9 car version
is unveiled it would be interesting to see what is used for their colors and to see if the white "zebra" stripes are retained...

MACTRAXX
  by RGlueck

Tichy colors, with the LIRR four points map on the side.

BTW, do railfans still stand on the east end of platform 7 and shoot thousands of pictures of the variety of trains, like we did in the 60's?
  by Head-end View

Yes LIRR orange for the M-9's would be an interesting throwback to the old days. Reminds me of watching the MP-54's back in the 1960's.
  by DutchRailnut

well as you all can see it s going to be yellow, nuff said.
  by fl9fan300

http://s22.postimg.org/js0fz768h/m9m7.png

m9 / m7 - side by side comparison ...

(ironically, out of the few similar images I could find of the m7's front was 7001)

Looks like they moved the markers on the inside of the headlights i think earlier someone mentioned how originally the headlights were supposed to be under the markers like the m8's. I wonder if the headlights will be anything like the bright LEDs like on Amtrak's ACS-64 Motors
  by fl9fan300

also the numbering actually makes perfect sense ... 7000 series for m7s and 9000 series for m9s
  by Tadman

Why does the MTA ask for twin low-mounted headlights? It's not a bus...
  by DutchRailnut

ok lets clarify headlight is on top, crossing lights (aka ditch lights) at bottom both are required to be at certain height and spread by FRA regulations.
  by amtrakhogger

Will the M7's be able to m.u. with the M9's?
  by ACeInTheHole

amtrakhogger wrote:Will the M7's be able to m.u. with the M9's?
No.
  by jackintosh11

ACeInTheHole wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:Will the M7's be able to m.u. with the M9's?
No.
They will be able to run together in non revenue moves only, which probably means they will be able to control each other's motors but not all of the functions necessary for revenue service.
  by DutchRailnut

No they will not !! only thing that will be compatible is coupler itself, for purpose of towing , the electric head will not make contact.