Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by fl9m2004

Okay no problem
  by DutchRailnut

216 M-8's in revenue service and M-2's are dwindling fast (118)
  by glennk419

DutchRailnut wrote:216 M-8's in revenue service and M-2's are dwindling fast (118)
Sadly, I would guess that number is currently down to 200?
  by DutchRailnut

only 3 are probably goners other 8 are fixable, but Fleet count on M-8's is up to 220.
  by ACeInTheHole

Metro North could very well just order more cars to replace the ones that are goners from the collision.. 9247 is most definitely toast with the side being peeled back like a banana peel the way it is.
  by gregorygrice

beanbag wrote:Metro North could very well just order more cars to replace the ones that are goners from the collision.. 9247 is most definitely toast with the side being peeled back like a banana peel the way it is.
Well they already ordered enough to cover the old fleet and more with the option order so if they wanted to, they could just say screw it and not order the extra 4. I don't think 2 pairs are really going to make a difference.
  by Backshophoss

LIRR was known to make up Miss-Matched pairs after wrecks,could that happen after NTSB releases the wrecked pairs?
  by DutchRailnut

Both cars with Heavy damage are B cars, the LIRR solution has been done on MNCR too but you still need a A and B car to make a pair.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

beanbag wrote:Metro North could very well just order more cars to replace the ones that are goners from the collision.. 9247 is most definitely toast with the side being peeled back like a banana peel the way it is.
Still an un-exercised 25-car option left. They can always tailor that order so instead of full cars they get some incomplete shells to use for re-mating salvageable ends. The MBTA did that with its Type 8 LRV order when it cut the final order back. They have 4 shells sitting in storage and already used one for wreck repairs.
  by Jeff Smith

I thought all options were exercised? 210+90 was the original and immediately exercised option, CTDOT ordered another 80 (10 for bar cars, then later the other 70). Then MNRR and CTDOT tacked on 25 singlets.

So, any plans on testing on SLE or Hell Gate this summer? Or is ACSES still an issue?
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Jeff Smith wrote:I thought all options were exercised? 210+90 was the original and immediately exercised option, CTDOT ordered another 80 (10 for bar cars, then later the other 70). Then MNRR and CTDOT tacked on 25 singlets.

So, any plans on testing on SLE or Hell Gate this summer? Or is ACSES still an issue?
Unless Wikipedia is wrong, I believe there's still 1 option left. CDOT didn't have plans to go any higher than 405, so if that is it they can always trade a few singlets on the last option for repair shells.
  by Fan Railer

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote:I thought all options were exercised? 210+90 was the original and immediately exercised option, CTDOT ordered another 80 (10 for bar cars, then later the other 70). Then MNRR and CTDOT tacked on 25 singlets.

Unless Wikipedia is wrong, I believe there's still 1 option left. CDOT didn't have plans to go any higher than 405, so if that is it they can always trade a few singlets on the last option for repair shells.
You're right. The 25 singles order came with an additional 25 singles option.
  by Clean Cab

380 A&B cars and 25 non-powered trailers=405 cars. I thought I heard CT Governor Malloy mention ordering another 68 cars in his press conference in Bridgeport. That would bring the total to 473 cars minus 3 cars wrecked=470.
  by ACeInTheHole

Clean Cab wrote:380 A&B cars and 25 non-powered trailers=405 cars. I thought I heard CT Governor Malloy mention ordering another 68 cars in his press conference in Bridgeport. That would bring the total to 473 cars minus 3 cars wrecked=470.
After their performance in that wreck.. I'm a huge M8 fan.. The more the merrier.
  by Jeff Smith

Not that I'd object, but where is he finding the money? And is there a need? I guess since the entire fleet is being replaced, CTDOT will need more for SLE service so that fleet can go to NHHS and any potential extension of electrification.