Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

currently 228 accepted and total will be 425 on current orders.
  by Fan Railer

DutchRailnut wrote:currently 228 accepted and total will be 425 on current orders.
Just a minor correction, but last I checked, only 405 were on order (the additional 25 singles on option still pending). Probably just a typo on your part.
  by Train538

9341/40, 9102/03, & 9344/45 were just spotted on a test train heading east at East Norwalk (per Marc Hamon).
  by TacSupport1

I'm just curious if the accident has changed the delivery schedule? (Example: pending investigation to see if safety improvements can be made?)

Also, since these situations are so rare, how does MNRR handle totaled cars? Since they are still in production, do they order more for replacement?
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

TacSupport1 wrote:I'm just curious if the accident has changed the delivery schedule? (Example: pending investigation to see if safety improvements can be made?)

Also, since these situations are so rare, how does MNRR handle totaled cars? Since they are still in production, do they order more for replacement?
There is 1 remaining un-exercised car option and CDOT is strongly considering taking it (although they're under no deadline pressure to make a decision with 175+ still to build). Replacements will probably come out of that.
  by Train2009

This afternoon a test train went westbound out of New Haven, CT with # 9348,9349, 9350 and 9351.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Let's see, I'll be going into NY Sat Aug 3 for a Mostly Mozart concert (actually all Beethoven) at Lincoln Center.

I plan to ride 6347 dp Stm 530P (boarding Riverside) and likely return on 6370 dp GCT 1040P

What is likelihood that M-8's will be assigned to either of these trains?
  by Steamboat Willie

6370 usually is M8's.
  by DutchRailnut

CDOT 129 with 6 new M-8's sitting in Stamford (for New Haven) highest number 9357.
  by NH2060

Bit of a belated post, but about 2 weeks ago there was a set of M-8s parked right in front of a set of M-2s in Stamford on the pocket track closest to 95 with what looked like only about a foot or two of distance between the couplers. Just about the closest we'll ever get to seeing M-8s and M-2s in the same consist ;-)
  by Gilbert B Norman

My first ride in M-8 equipment was aboard train 6347 Riverside GCT this past Saturday. The car in which I was seated was 9188.

All told, my overall impression is that these cars represent an improvement over the M-2's. I was reflecting back to when I first rode that equipment during 1975. The topmost plus is, aside from the cars be4ing new, is the massive sized windows, which for the moment are clear. The top negative is the electronic warning sound when the doors close; why couldn't there been bells like the M-2's, or best yet the chimes on CTA equipment.

Albeit sitting center car, I thought the ride was exceptionally smooth and quiet.

I did learn something about the New Haven that I must admit I was unaware, and that is the third rail has been extended from Woodlawn to Pelham. Possibly this should be addressed in a separate topic; my inquiry on this point is simply when and why.

All told, a good experience, as were the M-8's on my return train (1110P GCT).

Adios, M-2's.
  by lirr42

Mr. Norman, the changeover location was made sometime in the early 1990's when they began upgrading the overhead lines to constant-tension lines. They made the move presumably so they would have three less miles of overhead wire to bother with (all knowing that third rail is much more convenient to maintain...especially in the summer months with all that drooping!
  by DutchRailnut

They moved it away from woodlawn interlocking cause any failed westbound train would tie up Harlem line and any failed train going east could not make it out of interlocking at vern.
also between Vern and Mount Vernon East were some of lowest bridges prone to flashover and failure due to road salt. yes somewhere around 1990 is correct.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Messrs. LIRR and Railnut, thank you for the straight up response regarding moving the third rail changeover to Pelham or thereabouts. Makes sense to me. I must confess, that from the view of one who visits the NY area once or twice a year (and obviously not about to drive a rented car let alone my own into town - and pay $60 for the privilege of having it walloped in a Midtown garage) that I had failed to note the change in the past.

Finally Mr. LI, allow me to note your signature line makes a lot of sense. As I have noted at several municipal transit Forums, I think the biggest barrier to those from out of town using mass transit is how to access it. All of these various fare payment systems can be boggling to a visitor (no I'm not about to say why can't we just pay the driver or agent as back in my day). Somehow I walked at snails pace dodging all the fanny packed tourists preoccupied with their electronic playthings, twofer ticket hawkers and street pantomimists and got to Lincoln Center on time. For the return to GCT, my Niece swiped her farecard for me and she continued to an 'N' train to Brooklyn (whatever happened to IRT, BMT, and IND - she age 36 didn't even know what those were).
  by Train2009

Train2009 wrote:This afternoon a test train went westbound out of New Haven, CT with # 9348,9349, 9350 and 9351.
#9348 and #9349 are now in service.