Railroad Forums 

• LV Breesport NY station

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1565819  by nydepot

I went out today getting updated photos of Chemung County stations. Not many left, got them all except the LV Breesport station.

The last photo was from 1997 and listed as "off Orniston Hill Rd". I had done some research beforehand and found nothing on Google Sat. that looks like the station. Did the field work today and found nothing. Asked and the person had lived on the road since 1984 and wasn't familiar with it. He admitted it could have been since remodeled.

There is a building on Depot Rd in Breesport that was built in 1900, according to the tax info. It has been VERY remodeled if it's the one in the photo.

Anyone got a good answer? Thanks.
265.jpg
265.jpg (44.09 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
 #1565829  by BR&P

Well, you wouldn't have much trouble convincing me!
LV Breesport, NY with people.jpg
LV Breesport, NY with people.jpg (248.69 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
 #1565854  by BR&P

Charles, I came back to the thread to save a copy of the recent pic. Rereading this, maybe I misunderstood. Are you saying the blue building might be the depot, or there is another building which you don't have a pic of which might or might not be the blue building? If I had the wrong take on this I apologize. If that's the case, do you have a pic of what it looks like today?
 #1565863  by nydepot

The blue building, the photo taken in 1997, is the depot. When I went to see it yesterday and take a photo, I could not find a building that looked like that in Breesport, especially on the ROW. My guess is in the intervening 30 years, the owners really remodeled and the basic look is gone now. If it's been remodeled, that's OK. If it was tore down and a new building put up, that's not OK for the Existing Stations site.
 #1565871  by BR&P

OK, got it!

I guess the options are either knock on the door of the building in question, or check zoning records to see if a replacement structure was permitted. Too bad they didn't backdate it to an original appearance.
 #1565973  by Roadgeek Adam

It has to be 11 Depot Road. I've gone through numerous newspaper and have managed to trace property ownership history pretty far.

The Star-Gazette of July 25, 1965 notes the Strubles own it with then modern angle.. The water tower is visible in a 1944 aerial, and gone by 1955.

This angle from 1958 in the Star-Gazette of May 25 also shows the same angle.

Maxwell Struble (Sr.) died on NY 17 at the wheel in 1965.

The property has changed hands a few times from the Ogden family to the Furney family. There appears in every aerial to have been no movement of the building, but it has definitely been renovated.
 #1566038  by Roadgeek Adam

Here is the reason I state that using the photo from 1965.