Railroad Forums 

• LV ALCO C-430's.................

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#460964  by GOLDEN-ARM

Here's a new twist, in the form of an Alco proposal for 10 C-430's designed for the LV. Are these perhaps the 10 that went to the NYC? The "what-if's" are interesting to contemplate, even though we know it's not unusual for builders to flood the carriers with "proposals" for every new model, both real and imagined. Look at this...... LV C-430

#460995  by TB Diamond

GA:

ALCO quit manufacturing railroad locomotives in 1969. As the proposal is dated 1968, one must wonder if there is a tie-in to the fact that the Lehigh Valley RR did not purchase any C430s?

#461175  by lvrr325

What year did they buy the former Monon C628s? I'm not sure they had money for 10 new locomotives. I would imagine Alco sent booklets like that to every railroad they were trying to sell C430s to.

The link takes you to an eBay listing... rare book, to be sure, but $100 is awful high unless there's a nice color artist's rendition of what the engines would look like in there. Without that... $20, tops, depending on who's bidding on a given day. I've seen better and more informative period booklets and things only go for $20-$30.

#461224  by TB Diamond

Monon Alco C628 nos. 400, 401, 402, 403 and 404-408 were acquired by the Lehigh Valley RR rebuilt through Alco 12/67. (X-2200 S issue 77).

#461704  by GOLDEN-ARM

In what respect did you mean this, TB? Alco went under, making the sale impossible, or the LV not ordering, sealing the fate of Alco (or speeding up the inevitable)? This is the first time I've seen the C-430 proposal to the LV, although I've seen some others, for various six axle units, and the C-424 as well. regards :wink:

#462629  by TB Diamond

G-A:

Was merely speculating that the LV had possibly not made up its mind to order any C430s prior to ALCO discontinuing locomotive manufacture. Wild speculation on my part with no firm basis of fact. My bad.

#462635  by GOLDEN-ARM

Those 10 Centuries might have eliminated the need for the dozen Geeps, a few years later. Just a wild, and crazy thought. (or dream....... :-D ) Imagine sets of Century 430's, screaming across Jersey, up into Pennsylvania......... Oh, where is Scot and his photoshopping when we need it most?...... :wink: