Railroad Forums 

• Lunch/ meal Breaks

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#335223  by GOLDEN-ARM

The PDA shows the States have "no more than 10 minutes" in any case. Then, on the very first page Arizona shows 15 minutes allowed on a crossing. NM shows no statutes imposing time constraints, but the NMDOT has a 15 minute ruling, in effect. The PDA's 10 minutes, is not an FRA mandate. It is intended to show the most time allowed by the states, that have rulings on it. Clearly, the PDA's author, didn't read the info he included in the PDA (not you, JG, the PDA's author) as the Arizona time, should have been easily observed. It's 10 here, and I have seen 5 as well, but 15 is the max I have personally witnessed. It could be possible, for some places to allow more (not including emergencies), but I haven't seen any. I just read it's 20 minutes, in Louissianna and South Dakota. It's also 15 minutes, in Idaho, and Illinois, as well as several other States. Interestingly, many States have no restrictions, or limits imposed.

#335260  by thebigc

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Hey "D", (BigC) it's a different world, riding the cushions. And besides, the Riverline is CSX, not NS. In a city, with 14 crossings, in 2 miles, blocking 8 isn't the end of the world. (population of Roswell, NM and surrounding counties, is 45,900) A Burrito Express meal is worth it. You gotta remember, we have less people in the entire state, than in the city limits, of Elizabeth. The stops on the Riverline didn't involve blocking any crossings. The law allows you 15 minutes. I notice is doesn't occur to you, that the conductor is hungry, and calls for the stops, as well. (never saw a fat hungry conductor before, I imagine) Yep, lay it on the engineer. "He's driving, I am just a rider, officer............" That $2.00 came to $1.88 for us. Man, you can eat like a king, for that kind of money!!! :P If you are nice, and treat the DS fairly, many will allow you time to make a quick pit-stop, and might even plan a meet, around it. It's a give and take, and you have to be prepared, to pay that favor back, when asked. The road in N.M. didn't have the traffic to delay, and we also stopped in the mountains, to hunt snakes, explore caves, and take photos, if we felt like it. Not much incentive, to race across the railroad, when you are being paid by the hour (no guarantee) and the 182 mile run can be made, in 4 hours and 40 minutes. If you want 8 hours pay, you have to spend 8 hours on the train. (or in Burrito Express!!!)
I know CSX operates the River Line. And I've made many a coffee stop myself so I know how that works as well. But I have to wonder what would happen if one of the younger NS guys tried your antics after reading your post where you brag to the world how you stop any train, anywhere, and block as many crossings for as long as it takes, for a cup of coffee and a chimichanga.

This advice is fine if you're above all reproach like yourself but for us mere mortals, it might not fly.

#335394  by mainetrain

I imagine Noel and Golden-arm know each other? I recall in the 70's and early 80's The WH-1 would sometimes stop in Dumont at the small trackside diner, now called the Crystal Diner

#335544  by gp9rm4108

jz441 wrote:
gp9rm4108 wrote: On road trains you dont get a break. Condictors are qualified to operate the train in the presence of the engineer so the hogger can eat if he needs to.
Is this on the US side or Canadian?
Canadian ... we have extended runs here out west. Not sure if its just a prarie/western division thing.

#335882  by GRSGuy

On the ST, our union contract calls for a half-hour, duty-free meal break for every crew. The only stipulation being that it cannot be less than four hours from the beginning of the tour.

#335955  by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm at a loss, to follow you, "C". The post is about stopping, or the ability to eat, at work. Multiple responses indicate what happens in the "real world" of freight train operations. I doubt those new NS guys, will be "reinventing the wheel" in stopping for beans. Chances are more likely, the old heads who are schooling them, will let them know the whens and wheres, of a safe stop, for coffee, or lunch. Anyone with more than a few months under the belt, knows the deal, and I doubt anyone with some real time, can tell you they haven't stopped, for a cup, a bite or even to get a newspaper. Never had a Chimi', so I can't say what they are about. "Above reproach"? I've had more than enough certified letters, in my mailbox, and have made more than one LC "earn their keep" at the hearing. Been sippin' the Kool-Aid with your fraternal engineer again, have you? If a younger NS guy makes a stop, kudos to him, he is only doing what we all have been doing, since we hired out, ourselves. As you said yourself, even YOU have defiled the rules, thrown all caution to the wind, spit in the faces of management, and GOT A CUP YOURSELF!!!! Some old head was with ya? Maybe even his idea? NJT seems to have a stricter schedule, than a freight train does, from what I remember. Seems you still have a job, so it might not be as perilous, as you are trying to make it sound......... :P

#336105  by thebigc

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I'm at a loss, to follow you, "C". The post is about stopping, or the ability to eat, at work. Multiple responses indicate what happens in the "real world" of freight train operations. I doubt those new NS guys, will be "reinventing the wheel" in stopping for beans. Chances are more likely, the old heads who are schooling them, will let them know the whens and wheres, of a safe stop, for coffee, or lunch. Anyone with more than a few months under the belt, knows the deal, and I doubt anyone with some real time, can tell you they haven't stopped, for a cup, a bite or even to get a newspaper. Never had a Chimi', so I can't say what they are about. "Above reproach"? I've had more than enough certified letters, in my mailbox, and have made more than one LC "earn their keep" at the hearing. Been sippin' the Kool-Aid with your fraternal engineer again, have you? If a younger NS guy makes a stop, kudos to him, he is only doing what we all have been doing, since we hired out, ourselves. As you said yourself, even YOU have defiled the rules, thrown all caution to the wind, spit in the faces of management, and GOT A CUP YOURSELF!!!! Some old head was with ya? Maybe even his idea? NJT seems to have a stricter schedule, than a freight train does, from what I remember. Seems you still have a job, so it might not be as perilous, as you are trying to make it sound......... :P
You don't like Kool-Aid? That's just plain un-American!

Stopping for a quick Dunkin Donuts run and doing what you claim to have done are two different things. Remember?

GOLDEN ARM wrote: I will stop any train, anywhere, to get a cup. When running from Carlsbad to Clovis, with DP potash trains, we stopped at Roswell every trip, time of day permitting, (Burrito Express' hours dictated the making of the stop) and got breakfast, lunch or dinner. We even sat down, and ate, while the train had the south end of Roswell tied up. We sat on 8 crossings, for only 20 minutes, while eating the best Mexican food, in east New Mexico.
Its not the idea of stopping for coffee as much as your defiant attitude about the act. As if you dare someone to tell you not to stop and tie up all those crossings. I just don't think that act would play well on NS, especially former CR territory (Northerners). And I'd hate to see some newbies who have fallen under the spell of ol' GOLDEN EGO (more Kool Aid sippin') wind up terminated for stopping a hot train and tying up a town because, well, you do it.

You see what I'm sayin'?

#336117  by GOLDEN-ARM

Naw, I still don't see it. I simply related what I, and the other crews on that road do/did, for lunch. You don't think I knew where that place was, do you? I was shown, by a hungry conductor. As I also stated, there might be a difference, in a state with less people in it, than the cities where you are currently working at/through. No, I don't like Kool-Aid. Too much sugar. I prefer water, or perhaps a diet Mt. Dew. Two different things? You quoted my words. The very first sentence of the quote says "I will stop any train, anywhere, to get a cup". Not exactly two different things, as I also mentioned a single place, on a single road, where the crews certainly do stop, and sit down to eat. The first crossing behind the crossing where the BE is located, is only 3000 feet. The shortest train we run, from Carlsbad is 6000 feet. The trains were stopping to eat, before I got there, and they are stopping there still, after I have left. Any attempts to place the blame for simple minded folks, being "mesmerized" by an account of facts, is rather self-serving for you, doncha think? Enjoy your sips!!!! :wink:

#336243  by thebigc

I see you left out all those specifics in your first "in your face" quote in this thread. The message conveyed to some is that "I'm getting some coffee and a taco so the DS and all the motorists and residents in this town can just go to hell. After all, I'm GOLDEN ARM dammit!"

That's the message conveyed by your first quote. Now, little by little, you're telling us assorted factoids about how long your train is and how few people actually live in this place, how you're just upholding a local RR tradition, etc...

It's not the fact that you stop for beans someplace in the desert, just how you tell people the way you go about doing it.

#336459  by GOLDEN-ARM

Downtown Roswell, is technically a "High-Plains" town, not the desert. The story, stands. It simply relates a factual set of conditions, in an actual location, and what a very real bunch of railroaders do, when they are hungry, and the place is open. The only one "blowing the GA's horn", is you. You aren't on a road, where a coffee stop, or lunch stop, makes a difference, to the traffic patterns, I would imagine. I see/saw no need to give "in your face specifics", as you called them, to relate that yes, train crews do stop, and eat, drink or use a toilet. I mentioned them only because you are/were so infatuated, with the account of facts I related, and you were pining for more details. As far as jamming up the DS, on the Northern, Terry, Steve and Frankie (Riverline DS's) were well aware of our "emergency" whan we called them, and told them we were having one. The DS for Carlsbad wasn't aware, and wouldn't care, as we held up no opposing, or following trains. Again, this aint passenger service, we don't run on the schedules, you are used to. Even TVLA had time to get a cup of coffee if the crew wanted some .Regards Donny.......XOXO!!!!!! (and merry X-Mas to you, BigC)

#336607  by thebigc

^^^^^VERY INTERESTING!!!! More than you imagine!!!

Anyhow, all the guys who decide to stop "any train, anywhere for a cup" and get canned for it know where to go!! You did say that, right?? I won't split any hairs about all those crossings you blocked for "20 minutes".

For the record, I'm not "infatuated" with anything you have to say. Only your state of total and absolute denial. Above reproach, like I stated earlier.

#336628  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hopefully, those guys who are being canned by the dozen, have paid up their "can" insurance. ANYONE may feel free to send me a PM, if they need a temp job, while awaiting their return to duty. I get work for many a dismissed guy, who awaits his return to duty. (hopefully with back-pay). Three guys on this very forum may (or may not feel like) vouch for that. Regards :wink: Above reproach, or denial? See my earlier post, regarding my working the LC, or spending more than my fair share of time "on the carpet". I am pure as driven coal, bro. :P

#336800  by conrail_engineer

Meal breaks...a fond memory...only a memory. >sigh<

Noel worked Selkirk to Buffalo. I'm working Buffalo to Willard...we, of the Frontier Yard terminal, are fortunate to have the last open YMCA lunch counter in the entire CSX system, maybe the country. So, the first order of business upon arriving for work...is not bulletins, but chow. Eat, hungry or not...it might be a long time before the next opportunity.

We stop, on the main, for fuel at Cleveland-Collinwood. There's time for a cup of hot joe...one of the old heads working at Collinwood, his wife works at a Hostess Thrift Shop. Stuff that doesn't sell, donuts, danish, that hit their no-sale date...he brings in, free. It doesn't last, but if you're there at the right time, you can grab something and get a sugar buzz.

If things are slow, if they're holding us out somewhere, we have CP-McD at North East (butts right against the ROW), and several other Fallen Arches that can be walked to, in Erie and Mentor, Ohio.

Other than that, it's all about what you've packed in the grip.

Me...after having a couple of bannanas crushed in my grip (what a mess!) I've come to taking several cans of a nutrition drink...Optima or Slim-Fast. Not messy; won't spoil; easy to drink while running.

Planned meal stops are like scheduled runs - something to dream about when bored.

#337112  by GOLDEN-ARM

Image Waiting for the conductor, to return with our coffee, and donuts, somewhere on the Midland Sub........ (photo by camera phone, sorry) April, 2005

All of this talk about beans, is making me hungry. Happy Holidays to everyone, and be safe out there, even when stopping on the crossing, for a quick bite of turkey dinner......... :-D

#337588  by ENR3870

gp9rm4108 wrote:
Canadian ... we have extended runs here out west. Not sure if its just a prarie/western division thing.
Not all CN conductors are trained to run the engine, only those who are qualified Conductor Locomotive Operators. As well not all of our trains are Extended Run, we run many Single Sub trains as well.

CN Yard crews in Canada get a 40 minute lunch break and a 15(customer demands, and work load permitting) coffee break. The yard crews only work 8 hours, time worked after 8 hours is OT. After 8 hours and 51 minutes a yard crew is entitled to a 1 hr Hot Meal break, or compensation if they're unable to go for a Hot Meal.