Railroad Forums 

• Lower Boonton Line in Kearny

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#30747  by Dougster

I noticed some brush and shrub removal going on just west of the Devon St. crossing in Kearny. Not a major undertaking or so it seemed (no heavy equipment), and only appeared to go about 200 feet or so down the line at the time I was there but I found it unusual since there are now "Tracks Out Of Service" signs at each of the crossings in Kearny. Anyone know of anything going on there? I have not heard anything. The men doing the bruch clearing appeared to be contractors. There was a contractor truck parked under the Chestnut St bridge and a man on a cell phone with a hard hat. Could not see if there was a name or anything on the truck. There is a Weichert Realty "For Sale" sign alongside the tracks but I don't know if it is for the house next to the tracks or not. I know it is probably obvious that the sign is for the house, it does appear to be place on RR propety.

Doug

#30830  by njt4172

I don't know how it will work, but when I talked to Mr. Wilson yesterday he said his Lower Boonton line commuter service to Hoboken might begin by November or December!

But you all know his mentality!!! :D

Steve

#31095  by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:I don't know how it will work, but when I talked to Mr. Wilson yesterday he said his Lower Boonton line commuter service to Hoboken might begin by November or December!

But you all know his mentality!!! :D

Steve
I didn't know you new Jimmy. Well, he gets ten marks from me for spirit and determination. I'll be the first one rooting if he can pull it off! But that is a big if.

#31108  by njt4172

Nick,

Yeah I know him pretty well! We had coffee one day. I went to a few of his court cases in Jersey City....Great Guy and a great optimist!!! A lot of people never thought he could pull off his service down Dundee Spur and he surprised a lot of us.....

Steve

#31126  by nick11a

^Well, if he can pull it off, more power too him. Go Jimmy go!

#31269  by BlockLine_4111

The first time I stumbled across this line in Kearny I had mistaken it for an ex-PRR freight line between Kearny and Newark. When I saw the smoky U-boats and C1s then it took me a bit to figure out what line this really was. The old West Arlington depot was still standing at the time. IIRC 1984-85.