Railroad Forums 

• Lowell, MA Stations

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1359143  by b&m 1566

What year did the Boston and Maine abandon the Central Street Station in downtown? Also, after the closure of the Central Street Station, where was the other station located and are there pictures of the station? I've seen pictures of the McGinnis era station (if you want to call it that) but I don't know if I've ever seen pictures of the one previous to it. Would I be correct in guessing that the previous one was built by the Boston and Lowell Railroad?
 #1359223  by edbear

Rail Lines of Southern New England gives a date of 1895, when trains of the original Boston & Maine's Lowell Branch were re-routed into the Boston & Lowell station which was at the Western Avenue grade crossing. When the Boston & Lowell station was torn down (about 1959) to make way for the grade separation at Western Avenue, passenger operations were moved into a freight house, temporarily. The McGinnis era station was a real estate deal. Some folks in cahoots with the McGinnis crowd set up a real estate business, bought some B & M land, built a station at Lowell and leased the depot to the B&M. They did the same at Dover, NH. They weren't very good landlords, so the B & M bought both of those leased stations.
 #1605462  by Red Wing

From the Church St bridge you can now see the remains of the trestle that brought trains to the old Central St Station. Get your pictures before the drought ends.