Railroad Forums 

• Lowell Line - Winchester, Woburn, Wilmington Spottings

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#428525  by l008com

Oh and I had a question. Why are they replacing all the overhead signals with pairs of signal posts beside the tracks? For example up in Wilmington where the track is right next to 38. Or in Winchester by the highschool, and also by Cross St. Whats the deal?

#428882  by Finch

Where's this siding you talk about with the MOW equipment on it? Earlier this summer I was at Wilmington and there was a track geometry car parked a few hundred yards north (er...outbound) of where the Wildcat branch comes in. It was off on the side behind Dunkin Donuts, parallel to the main line. I can dig up a picture if you want.

#428885  by l008com

Where you describe it sounds about right. It starts right after the car bridge turned pedestrian bridge, and heads towards the station. I think it goes over the street crossing thats there too, but its all filled in with asphalt. I don't remember exactly though.
 #428907  by GP40MC1118

That equipment is stored on the Northbound Passing Track at Wilmington.
This track used to connect with Wilmington Interlocking (prior to the
redesign of the station/etc) and comes out north of Sweetheart Plastics
Crossing. DOBO/BODO/EDSA/SAED used to pick up/set off cars on it
and the Extension Track (which ran along the outbound track from
Wilmington Interlocking south for about 10-12 car lengths. There were
other tracks including the Sweetheart's Plastic siding, the Bessey Track,
the Old Long (between Main St and Clark St on the Wildcat), enginehouse lead, Bountwell track, Grain track. WI-1 used to keep its power & caboose at the freight house.

There is a Tie Job starting tomorrow on the outbound track between
Wilmington and Shop Interlocking in N. Billerica for a few days. Sometime
after that, they will install the welded rail dropped last week.

As far as the signals go, it all new replacement stuff and the overhead
signal bridges are being retired.

D
 #428908  by l008com

GP40MC1118 wrote: As far as the signals go, it all new replacement stuff and the overhead
signal bridges are being retired.
Well yeah I figured that out, but WHY was what I was asking :-) I find overheads to be much cooler than just posts. Not that that means anything.

#435046  by l008com

Soooooooooo another update. I saw losa heading north, watched it go through Anderson station (from new boston road). It was maybe 15 cars or so? And it was going north so whatever it was doing, it must have been done. There was only one tanker at rhostiens. Couldn't see what was as tighe next door. There was a single car as the plywood place. Haven't seen any cars there in a while. No sign of action at wilmington cold storage. Didn't go far enough north myself to see if anything was up at the cement place. I also didn't hear a DOBO tonight but I probably just missed it. I haven't seen a downeaster in so long, I hope they bring back the night one soon.

#435089  by Dick H

The new late night Downeasters start tonight (August 17th)

Woburn 10:14PM (to Boston)
Woburn 11:38PM (from Boston)
7 days a week

Some minor changes in several of the daytime trains, also.

www.amtrakdowneaster.com

Dick

#435263  by l008com

Oh another strange thing I saw last night was a commuter train that only had 3 single level cars. Very short for the line.

#437593  by l008com

Every single time, I am amazed at how quiet the downeaster is. I guess its better wheels? Other than the gaps in the rails, the train is almost perfectly quiet. Traveling backwards, it could easily sneak right up on you. I haven't seen a downeaster in months, it was cool to see one again. I also caught LOSA at the cement place in wilmington, but I guess it was just finishing up. It then dropped of one car at the Plywood place in Woburn, and picked up one car at rhostiens. Not a whole lot of work. The train was maybe 15-20 cars.

So I thought that passenger trains had to honk when passing a freight train parked on the main line, even when its in a quiet zone? I don't think it is a quiet zone but an MBTA train went by as they were switching out Rhostiens. I've been on the Olympia ave bridge before while this was going on and had my ear drums blown out by the MBTA train. What is the deal with the rules?

I didn't see any gravel train tonight. Another thing I noticed was that the train comes south on the right side track. Soooooooo when it does oh so rarely switch out wilmington cold storage, how does the train get over to the other track? I know there is a switch right before Anderson station. Is there another one somewhere? Does the train go all the way up to the station, then back the whole way down into the wrong side of the track, so it can go and switch WCS?
 #440119  by GP40MC1118

Head's up...LOSA tonight is on jungle patrol. Has a car (or 2) for
Wilmington Cold Storage to spot.

Dave

#440144  by l008com

Oh man! I just got in. I saw, and took a picture, of the two car train and laughed out loud. I was at wilmington station and got an awesome view of the train. If only I had gotten this message in time, I would have loved to have seen then deliver to wilmington cold storage again. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

I'll post my pic, if its any good, in a few minutes.

#440158  by l008com

Coming off the line:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ate&page=1

Passing the platform:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ate&page=1

That platform is such a cool place to watch trains. Too bad I live so far away. I was hoping I'd catch a downeaster blow on by, but no luck. I wish my timing was better for LOSA though, I would have LOVED to catch it in action. Oddly enough I even explored the WCS 'branch' earlier tonight. Whoda'thought. Looks like that little spur hasn't got much time left. Its in rough shape, by my un-fra-educated eyes.

FYI there were lots of cars at the rhostien/tighe siding tonight. More than I've seen the last few thursdays. Still lots of MOW stuff just north of the lowell line/wildcat switch. Its good stuff.

ALSO: Sorta off topic but I feel its on topic because it has to do with my thursday night bike rides, which is what this entire thread has REALLY been about :-)
There was a front end loader on the Reading line ROW, just off Rt 28. And some balast piles. Are they just laying down new stone, or are they actually starting the process of double track through the station?

So I didn't actually see any switching, but I still saw enough trains to make it a good night, plus I had lots of other fun. WARNING: This video has 0% train content. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfVaN4FSunM

#440202  by 130MM

l008com wrote: There was a front end loader on the Reading line ROW, just off Rt 28. And some balast piles. Are they just laying down new stone, or are they actually starting the process of double track through the station?
Work has begun to renew the Ash St. crossing. There is no plans to double track the area at this time.

DAW
 #440379  by GP40MC1118

You should've waited a few more minutes or gone down to Anderson.
The Downeaster/688 was late and followed 244 from Lawrence to CPW-WJ. They met MBCR 345 at Anderson after LOSA crossed over and
went to Rothsteins. DOBO was already in Boston!

D
 #440384  by l008com

GP40MC1118 wrote:You should've waited a few more minutes or gone down to Anderson.
The Downeaster/688 was late and followed 244 from Lawrence to CPW-WJ. They met MBCR 345 at Anderson after LOSA crossed over and
went to Rothsteins. DOBO was already in Boston!

D
Another hour or two of notice and i'll be good to go next time ;-)