Railroad Forums 

• Looking to get into the biz

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#7300  by train newbee

Hi Everybody,
This is a great forum. I am interested in getting into the LIRR as an AC. I was wondering what I should know about it before I jump in. Pay, Uniforms, benefits, time off, schedules, training, and things like that.
Thanks in advance.

#13194  by RYAN

Hi there,

I'm new to RR.net and was wondering the same thing. I've heard that it takes years to get good schedules and you'll be working weekends and late nights for at least 5 years maybe more before you can get the good shifts. I also heard the training program is grueling and it's 4 months long with no pay. I'm hoping to hear back from those in the know how. I commute every day but I hate my current job (although it is 9-5 M-F). But that's the only thing I'd miss about it if I left. Any feedback would be fantastic. Thanks in advance for the help

Ryan
 #13782  by slchub

Well, you should consider a few things before jumping into this game. You state you hate your present job. Your "new career" is a whole other ball game. Ask youself if you really want to give up those weekends off. Would you rather sleep in your own bed, or a bed that is set-up as a crew bed, where the sheets are swapped out, the tub and sink are barely cleaned after your co-worker has checked-out to catch his train home. Are you willing to sit in the cab and wait for the block to clear and move one block up for 3-4 hours before you can get into the yard? Does the thought of being alone walking to the 166th axle in a snowstorm at night to check a hotbox appeal to you? How about being in the yard at 0200 pulling pins between the 13th and 14th track with only 3' between cars and each track is moving in the opposite direction. Or trying to cover your butt when the MYO or MTO or other Manager is giving you a FTX or otherwise to try and fire your butt for 30 days.

Not that I am trying to disway you from the RR. But don't let railfanning or images of shooting down the rails at 70 MPH bring images that just aren't there. Yes, we do get paid well. Yes, the railroad has paid for my house and cars and provided many things for me and the family. I appreciate them all. But the calls from CMS at 0210 for an on duty time of 0340, the missed baseball games with junior, and telling friends and family to plan events around thier schedule, not mine, because I'll never know when the board is going to drop or move up is a constant reminder of the business I am in. Training? Well, you'll have plenty of it, although it has been parred down a bit. You'll need to know the rule book inside and out.....goto this webiste for the GCOR....

http://www.sdrm.org/faqs/rulebook/toc.html

just to get a look at some of the info. you'll be required to know...if your RR uses the GCOR. Tests and quizes almost everyday, and a couple of finals here and there which you must pass at 85%...you do get a re-take if you bomb..again..get 85% the second try....if not...then you are out.

If working holidays and nights and weekends, and having a closer "realtionship" with the guys on the board instead of your family sounds appealing, go for it. But if you don't know or are the least bit unsure, don't do it. Let another guy who wants to get on the rails come on board.

#14067  by KarlJ

[deleted]
Last edited by KarlJ on Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#14105  by freshmeat

Sclhub is dead on. I just completed my interview and testing for the BNSF and I'll swear he wrote the script the road foreman and HR person went off of. It seems like they did more to try to scare everyone off, than get them to stay. However, with $30K to train an conductor, I'm sure they want to get their money back and I do not blame them. We lost one person after they told the group that there would be on-site drug testing that day. We had 55 people for 10 openings.

This is not just a job you do, you've got to commit to it or (1) it will kill you or (2) you won't last. I've got a lot of friends who have done this for a long damn time and the hours are c--p, the weather can be less than ideal and the work can be very very hard, especially if you pick up a freight night local. But all that aside, after you can survive your first full year, the wages are fairly good and the retirement cannot be beat.

#14193  by RYAN

Thanks for your input. You're right about long cold nights and working freight trains...it is not something I'd like to do. But as for the LIRR job I would assume it's a little different. The LIRR has no freight operations at all. Is there anyone employed by the LIRR specifically that could give me some advice?