Railroad Forums 

• Looking for info on Peanut RR in Clarence NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1635119  by miketr

As in the subject I am looking for some information on the Old Peanut line in Clarence NY. This section today is a bike path between Transit Road running east past Salt Road. The bike path / old Peanut line continues east into Newstead NY where it will eventually connect with another bike path / old West Shore RR.

I have found other posts about Peanut line but they are confusing to follow as they talk about Peanut Line from point of view of other towns. Again I am looking for info on Peanut line just in Clarence NY.

Info I am looking for is the following.

1) Date when was last train that passed over this section? Any info on what it carried?
2) When did bike path get put in?
3) When Peanut line in Clarence closed was it owned by NY Central?

Bonus Points
In Clarence NY there used to be a gypsum mine, "Atlas Gpy", it was on 400 acres between Roll Road on south side, Shimerville Rd on west and Thompson Rd on east. North would have been Peanut Line. Does anyone know where exactly the spur line between Atlas Gpy and Peanut Line was? Last date of use?

Names / Locations of any other spur lines in Clarence.

Thanks in advance for any info people would be willing to provide.

Michael
 #1635205  by BR&P

There have been other threads on the Peanut including discussion of gypsum mining and maps of some of the spurs. I'd suggest using the "Advanced search" feature putting in various words relevant to your needs. Don't be afraid to poke through threads which start out about a different part of the line, often they expand to discuss different things and locations. Welcome to the forum!
 #1635211  by SST

Their is a wealth of information here, ya just gotta dig. This forum is where I started and learned many things as I stumbled along when I found something “new.”