Railroad Forums 

• looking for info on midway railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#279689  by jringreatwhitenorth

i;m looking for info on a ohio shortline called midway railway. i heard that it served a power plant but can not remember where at. i do know the railway before it was called midway railway was named ohio midland railway

#280043  by BaltOhio

The Midway Railroad existed from April 1962 to its abandonment in September 1972, operating about two miles between Lockbourne and the nearby Ohio Midland P&L power plant. It used a rare EMD SW600, #512.

The Midway was the last surviving segment of a high-speed, third-rail interurban system originally called the Scioto Valley Ry., which operated from Columbus to Circleville and Chillicothe, with a branch from Obetz Jct. to Lancaster, Ohio. Gradually the company became a major regional public utility, and the bulk of the rail system was abandoned in 1930. Thirteen miles were retained between Obetz, Obetz Jct. and the company power plant near Lockbourne, basically carrying coal from C&O and N&W connections at Obetz.

In 1932 the company changed its name to Ohio Midland Light & Power. The remaining 13 miles remained electrified until 1956, using a steeple-cab motor, #500, an interurban box motor, #40, and probably other equipment. In 1957-58, the now-dieselized line was cut back to the two miles between Lockbourne and the power plant and, as noted above, was re-incorporated as the Midway in 1962.