Railroad Forums 

• Looking for info/maps of old yard at 3rd & Erie in Philly

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1009566  by silverwinggg1

I have been looking for any info on an old Rail Yard that used to be located at 3rd and Erie Ave. in Philadelphia. I can't even find a name for it. I know it was running in the 60's and before that. I grew up right next door to this line. I had found some old pictures of it on PHILLYHISTORY.ORG.
 #1009745  by JimBoylan

Also, check Historic Aerials.
Near the end in the 1970s, the Reading used it as a piggyback trailer yard.
In the early 1950s, the engine house was used for freight engines. Len Smolsky remembers being a fireman on a T-1 steam loco about 1954 that he got out of there, ran light to the Baltimore & Ohio's East Side Yard, and took a freight train to Jersey City.
 #1010242  by Sir Ray

Jim is right, and the Aerials are indeed interesting:

Compare 1967 with 1970- if I'm interperting the imagery right, everything railroad related was more or less gone by 1970 (well, most of the bridges were there, and still are to this day, and maybe some sidings or ROW thereof).
One really puzzling thing - here's the Bing Bird view of the area - note clearly the three former sidings coming in from the north, and going along side that grey-roofed distribution center (surrounded by truck trailers). OK, that distribution center was NOT in the 1970s image, so maybe Reading leveled everything visible in the 1967 image (including the roundhouse), the 1970 image catching this empty state, and then built the TOFC yard that Jim mentioned, also adding those sidings to the (then new I guess) distribution center. Unfortunately apparently nobody thought to fly over that area of NE Philly with a camera for another 30years, so the intervening history which I guess would cover your childhood - "It Is a Mystery!"
 #1010292  by silverwinggg1

Thanks Jim, I did see the aerials.
I grew up there on 3rd street from 61 to 80's.
The Bing photo is what I will call the third stage. The 1970 aerial photo would be from right after they tore down the old roundhouse and a coaling tower (stage one). I was there when they tried to use dynamite to knock down the tower. The TOFC yard was built after that (stage two) and filled up that whole empty area. The three tracks that are under the building are the remnents of the main part of the yard. That whole area was paved over. There were two other tracks going through there also, one on the west edge that bypassed the yard, and went up via 5th and hunting park. The other went along the east edge, then split into two, with one leg going around the north side to join up with the west track, and the other leg going up second street. The Distribution center was built in the late 80's - 90's over top of the TOFC yard. Those three tracks are the were the trains would be loaded by two big piggyback cranes.

The 1970 aerial photo the east and west tracks should still be there. If you look close in the 70 and before aerials you can see the switch tower that controlled the roundhouse yard. Between the two bridges south of the yard about 3/4 of the way down on the left side of the tracks.

Does anybody happen to know the name of the yard. I have found a site with diagrams of other yards in philly (PRR yards) but can not find this one.
 #1012596  by RDG467

Quite simply, it was known as 'Erie Avenue Yard.' It was the main servicing area for Reading's frieght power in Philly until they built the engine house (Ann St.) at Port Richmond. Passenger engines were serviced at 9th & Green Sts along the 9th St branch to RDG Terminal. It was on the Bethlehem Branch, which ran from the Willow & Noble St yard up a connection with the Lehigh Valley and CNJ railroads in Bethlehem.

I have a blue print around here somewhere that shows the yard config in the mid-late 50's. I'll look for it when I get the chance.

The line that ran up 2nd St. connected to the Newtown Branch/NY Short Line at the Olney station. It was used to serve the old Heintz Plant at Front & Olney, plus customers on the Frankford Branch.