Railroad Forums 

• Longest passenger trains?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#751001  by Passenger

I'm wondering how long is (or was) the longest passenger train?

We all know about mile-long-plus freights, but what about passenger trains? My google-fu isn't working on this one.

1) Longest ever?
2) Longest regularly scheduled ever?
3) Longest regularly scheduled nowadays?

If any of those records are not in the USA, I'd also like to know the USA records.

Thanks.
 #751003  by Ocala Mike

Does the Autotrain count as a passenger train? If so, it's got to be the longest one running today.
 #751004  by Passenger

Ocala Mike wrote:Does the Autotrain count as a passenger train? If so, it's got to be the longest one running today.
I'd say yes with an asterisk. How long is it? :wink:
 #751071  by Tracer

Not sure if it counts but the ringling bros. circus trains are about 50 cars(i think), although not all carry passengers.
 #751076  by CarterB

Well, if you count that in the good ole days, trains like the 20th Century, Commodore Vanderbilt, Broadway Ltd often ran in sections (because one long train couldn't 'platform' the passengers at many stations) you'd end up with some totals of the various sections of 25-40 cars. I'd imagine you'll find that single trains, or sections of same, were limited to platform lengths more than operating lengths that could be possible. Not sure that too many regularly scheduled trains exceeded 16 or so cars for that reason.

IIRC, the Via Canadian, summertimes, is probably the longest regularly scheduled train, but not sure of how many cars.
 #751136  by DutchRailnut

As part of 150 year Dutch railroads a record train was run of over 3 Kilometers long.
one single Alstom Locomotive(1607) fed by 1500 volt DC pulled 60 passenger cars
 #751310  by Ocala Mike

Passenger wrote:.
I'd say yes with an asterisk. How long is it? :wink:
Typically, the consist is two P42 locomotives (occasionally three), 7-8 sleepers, incl. crew sleeper, 3 dining cars, 2 lounges, 4-5 coaches, and around 24 auto racks. Usually runs 40 cars or more, and over 3/4 mile in length.
 #752211  by 2nd trick op

Can't offer any factual information as to what might constitute a record, but assuming all "first class" trains are considered "passenger", then the mail and express moves on the eastern trunk lines were likely the longest on a consistent basis.

PRR used to card a Train 9, listed in the Employee Timetables as simply "Railway Express Agency"; it passed through Harrisburg around 11 AM, and usually consisted of at least 50 cars, mostly X29 express reefers. Another move, Train 18, passed through Eastbound around 2 AM, and one night in the winter of 1967-68, I was able to coax my way onto a rider coach added mostly for the benefit of dead-heading employees as a ticketed passenger. It turned into a memorable experience as the train was too long to sustain much heat in that car, and we ended up crowded into a cabin car (caboose) for the final lap from 30th street to New York.

Judging from my collection of ETT's, Pennsy Mail and Express schedules were subject to a number of variations regarding originating and terminating points at Boston (via New Haven and Hell Gate Bridge) Penn Station, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Chicago and St. Louis over the years.