Railroad Forums 

• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1602318  by BOMOPTSKWH

Your point being? My point is that LIRR will not allow steam. The reasons are obvious. Are you an LIRR employee? No. You are not. Seems to me that if they were ever going to allow it- they would have been on board for the past two generations. Have they even offered a dime to the cause? Wasn’t that long ago that Ross Rowland approached my department with his plans to run 614 LIC to Montauk. He was immediately shot down. So he went to NJT. After some negotiations - they allowed the trips. And they were a hit. Hoboken to Port Jervis. Water tank. Tool cars. 28 coaches. 79 mph. The following year - same thing. LIRR shot him down again. I agree with you 100% about the emissions from a steam loco. I would even add that 10% of that falls to the ground as cinders. My point is that political influence or corruption or whatever is guiding LIRR. And that IS a fact.
 #1602321  by MADDOG

BOMOPTSKWH wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:22 pm Your point being? My point is that LIRR will not allow steam. The reasons are obvious. Are you an LIRR employee? No. You are not. Seems to me that if they were ever going to allow it- they would have been on board for the past two generations. Have they even offered a dime to the cause? Wasn’t that long ago that Ross Rowland approached my department with his plans to run 614 LIC to Montauk. He was immediately shot down. So he went to NJT. After some negotiations - they allowed the trips. And they were a hit. Hoboken to Port Jervis. Water tank. Tool cars. 28 coaches. 79 mph. The following year - same thing. LIRR shot him down again. I agree with you 100% about the emissions from a steam loco. I would even add that 10% of that falls to the ground as cinders. My point is that political influence or corruption or whatever is guiding LIRR. And that IS a fact.
It seems as if you are a manager at the LIRR.
To paraphrase Cuba Gooding Jr in Jerry Maguire-“show me the official rule” by the LIRR/MTA.
There isn’t one.
Got that directly from a former LIRR President.
Please, I beg you, prove me wrong.
MADDOG
 #1602322  by MADDOG

workextra wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:57 pm I would hope so Rich.
It would be a real shame if her donations intended to restore here was spent on non restoration expenses. Because every dollar counts, and if those dollars are being spent to for example visit her boiler or to sound her whistle on SRC 475 (which frankly sounded beautiful) or on another no 39 component than that’s just a pure shameful waste of very limited and precious funds.
God willing this waste didn’t happen we’d have a shot to see this project through. If it did, the project is a wash. But with all the starts and stops which I honestly haven’t followed through with since they signed the agreement I all but thought 39s deal was canceled. It’s great to hear it’s not over yet!!!

That said, besides 38/35 which other lirr steam number/builder plates are still here today? And are they in a museum or private collection?
I saw the builders plate for #20 in a display case ups stairs in GCT. If I remember correctly, I was attending an Electric Railroaders presentation.
 #1602323  by MADDOG

workextra wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:33 pm Can someone share here a link to a detailed break down of the entire 39 fund? Every dollar raised and spent since the SRC arrangement was enacted?
This information should be public but I haven’t seen it and I cannot access RMLI website.
I’d like to see where our donations have gone exactly.
I believe that tax returns and all monetary files should be available from a charity upon request You may need to visit where these papers are files.
Maddog
 #1602324  by MADDOG

Pensyfan19 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:30 pm Suggestion after speaking with a friend: send LIRR 39 and 35 to Cheyenne so they can be restored by the UP Steam Program at a quicker pace. They can be shipped by rail and UP might be willing to restore more steam engines based on their work with 4014. I'm not sure how viable this idea is, but my friend mentioned it so might as well state it here in case if anyone agrees or not.
No viability at all.
This cannot happen
 #1602325  by MADDOG

MACTRAXX wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:12 pm PF: There is no way Suffolk County taxpayer funds will be used on the #39 now that it is no longer on LI.
With #35 at OBRM there could be a way for a "grant" of some sort for preservation and upgrade from NC.
Using regular tax funding or a dedicated tax from Nassau County is not going to happen...MACTRAXX
Why is everyone saying #39 isn’t on Long Island???
ONLY THE BOILER is sitting behind the Strasburg RR Company engine house with the firebox sheets cut off.
The rest is still sitting in Riverhead
 #1602326  by BOMOPTSKWH

Official rule? Seriously? There is a rule about non conforming equipment not being allowed to run without the direct permission from the General Superintendent Of Transportation. The GST is not going to allow a steam locomotive to operate in any zone on LIRR property without the ok from the LIRR President. In the past 20 years- MTA has gone out of their way to appoint people with zero railroad experience. People with experience, like Ray Kenny- get passed over. Political puppets that are beholden to corrupt Albany hacks rule the roost. There’s no rule in the book about pissin on the third rail either. You just don’t do it. Why are you so convinced it’s possible? Do you know something or someone saying otherwise? I would love to see 39 stormin through New Hyde Park and by B Tower. It would be an impossible chase- but certainly a headline maker.
 #1602341  by ConstanceR46

BOMOPTSKWH wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:33 pm Even without PTC and ACSES and ASC the LIRR is NEVER going to allow ANY steam locomotives to run. Period. It’s not even the lawsuit happy insurance nightmare- - It’s the insane purple haired climate change treehugger liberals that infest NY State government. And since MTA IS GOVERNMENT - there it is. COAL!!!! OMG😱😱😱😱! Not gonna happen.
Have you ever talked to anyone who believes in climate change? Serious question. Most wouldn't have any, nor do have any, problems with steam excursions, especially seeing how minimal the emissions of one are compared to the equivalent amount of cars.

Also, the photo of the braille you posted is something specifically on the emergency lever and probably with a cost point within the fraction-cents. Stop trying to tie everything to your idiotic arguments and views.
 #1602431  by RGlueck

Wonderful and recent Youtube video has been posted of OBRM placing radial tracks around the refurbished TT. Furthermore, the two GE 25T shop locos and the historically critical wooden caboose have been placed on those radials. This represents growth and real progress! Well done, OBRM volunteers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHKv12G81MQ
 #1603130  by Liquidcamphor

BOMOPTSKWH wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:19 am It’s got nothing to do with EPA. It has everything to do with the current management at LIRR. A bunch of PC liberals, more concerned with saving the planet by not using straws and diversity in the workplace. This is the crowd that spent untold tons of dollars on important stuff- like Braille signs in engineers cabs. Makes sense, I guess- for the blind engineers. LIRR is not going to allow steam.
I understand your passion but may I suggest toning down the criticism of the LIRR management? Just take it easy. This is a public forum.
 #1603131  by Liquidcamphor

BOMOPTSKWH wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:33 pm Even without PTC and ACSES and ASC the LIRR is NEVER going to allow ANY steam locomotives to run. Period. It’s not even the lawsuit happy insurance nightmare- - It’s the insane purple haired climate change treehugger liberals that infest NY State government. And since MTA IS GOVERNMENT - there it is. COAL!!!! OMG😱😱😱😱! Not gonna happen.
As I asked in reply to another one of your posts in this thread, tone it down a notch. This is not a political forum for you to use as a bully pulpit.
FYI, for years the LIRR made it clear that if anyone ever ran a steam locomotive on LI, it would have to be oil fired, not coal. This demand goes back to when the LIRR was run by key personnel friendly to rail enthusiasts.
 #1603650  by BuddR32

BOMOPTSKWH wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:32 pm Official rule? Seriously? There is a rule about non conforming equipment not being allowed to run without the direct permission from the General Superintendent Of Transportation. The GST is not going to allow a steam locomotive to operate in any zone on LIRR property without the ok from the LIRR President. In the past 20 years- MTA has gone out of their way to appoint people with zero railroad experience. People with experience, like Ray Kenny- get passed over. Political puppets that are beholden to corrupt Albany hacks rule the roost. There’s no rule in the book about pissin on the third rail either. You just don’t do it. Why are you so convinced it’s possible? Do you know something or someone saying otherwise? I would love to see 39 stormin through New Hyde Park and by B Tower. It would be an impossible chase- but certainly a headline maker.
A steam locomotive that is fully compliant with parts 229, and 230 is a conforming piece of equipment. I don't believe that its meant to be conforming with other types of equipment. Agree on RK, may he rest easily.
 #1604146  by workextra

Before we grandstand and blame LIRR mgmt (clueless or not) we need to first blame the preservation community.
Did we learn from the mistakes over the past 30+ years this has been going on?
Why is it other organizations have successfully acquired and restored steam locomotives is 1/2 the time but LI couldn’t do it?
Has anyone asked this question?
What are we doing wrong?
Forget about LIRR, they have absolutely nothing to do with this.

Get me a fully FRA compliant with cab signals installed G5s and then come to LIRR asking to work together on making it work with ACSES (PTC)
Once you can provide LIRR that, only then, at that moment would there be any cooperate interested to actually publicly get involved.

For years it’s been and I been guilty of it too at times. (LIRR As to pay or meet half way)
Fact is they won’t and they don’t have to. Lirr don’t give a crap If a G5 is running yesterday, today, or tomorrow.
In their eyes they don’t see any reason why they should be involved at this point in the process.
Where did the LI steam efforts fail?

For the sake of this conversation let’s argue we did have an FRA complaint steam locomotive operating
Additionally has anyone every thought it asked this question.
Would the preservation community, specifically the the locomotives owners be okay with transferring ownership to LIRR/MTA to operate the locomotive on their properties due to insurance reasons?
I doubt this will happen but it’s a question non the less.
Note: this is not an attack on any one or any organization. Just a reflection and question on the state of LI steam and it’s issues.
Don’t get bent out of shape.

Cry towel (here) if you need it :-D