Railroad Forums 

• Long Island City and Hunterspoint Ave.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#26891  by lirrmike

This a little off this topic and I'm always asking this (sorry folks!) but, anymore pictures of the Powerplant in the background?

Mike

#26935  by Nasadowsk

When were the DD-1's retired from pax service? I thought this was before WWII?

#26985  by dukeoq

Krispy, I don't belive that third rail ran from Jay to Fresh Pond, but what I had heard was that freight along the Rockaway Beach Branch was serviced with DD-1s.
Third rail was in place beteen FP and that branch.
>>>>Hillside yard had a couple of long electrified tracks as did Yard A, with a section of the Montauk cutoff also electrified.
This would facilitate a reverse move by the the Corona and Port Wash freight jobs to use the Main Line Cutoff, using a DD-1.
JJ Earl

#27061  by JOHN TRICARCIO

i was over at hunters point avenue in march and april
still a great view and plenty of /in the morning hours that is/
those old pictures are great keep em coming

good luck john t brooklyn ny

#27067  by timz

"When were the DD-1's retired from pax service?"

PRR passenger-- good question. The line to South Amboy didn't get electrified until circa 1934, so maybe they still hauled Jersey Shore trains to Manh Transfer until then? Several Shore trains had the 4-minute stop at the Transfer in 1934, along with a once-a-week train from NY to Camden.

LIRR passenger-- "Change at Ozone Park" says 22 June 1951.

The June 1949 timetable shows the following Mon-Fri trains running thru from NY Penn, all DD1-hauled we assume:

0839 to Greenport
1020 to Montauk (summer only)
1456 Friday-only to Montauk
1546 The Cannon Ball to Montauk
1551 to Greenport
1630 to Montauk
1635 to Pt Jeff
1642 to Speonk
1701 to Oyster Bay
1707 to Pt Jeff

I would've guessed these were Standard Time, but it says they're Daylight.

#27420  by Dave Keller

This shot shows third rail entering the underjump of the Montauk cut-off at "Dunton" if it helps any.

I will look at my maps and see what they say about third rail in the area mentioned.

In addition to JJ Earl's comments, DD1s did pull freight all over electrified territory. I have a shot of DD1s coupled to a caboose in front of the Babylon Freight house taken in 1936.

My maps indicate many sidings that were electrified to accomodate this procedure.

Most of the electrification was removed from the sidings in 1951, probably indicating that the DD1s weren't used for that purpose anymore.

I believe, if my mind remembers my roster correctly, that the DD1s were all out of service by 1952, some starting as early as 1948.

I have a shot of #339 on the scrap line in Pennsylvania in 1949.

I also have #351, 354 and 356 on the scrap line in 1951

I have #341 and #348 still at Morris Park Shops in 1952.

I have nothing in service after the 1952 date.

Dave Keller

#27468  by Dave Keller

A review of my maps shows that there was electrification on the Montauk branch from the LIC passenger terminal all the way to Jamaica, including along the Montauk cutoff at the underjump (as my photo indicates).

According to the notes on the maps, this third rail electrification was removed in 1951.

Also, my roster DOES indicate that all the DD1s were removed by 1952.

Dave Keller

#27476  by Dave Keller

Here's a more detailed update from retired LIRR engineer Mark Smith.

Dave Keller

Dave:

DD1s were used on trains from Jamaica to Penn Station after the engines were changed at Jamaica. The trains were backed out of NY to Harold Ave and a reverse move was made to the L.I.City Passenger Yard to lay up the train. Same process in reverse in the P.M.

Many times DD1s were moved out and put right on eastbound trains for afternoon departure. This meant you would have a few hours layover there. The train was then pulled up to Harold or F tower and shoved into Penn Station to load and run to Jamaica for the engine change.

Quite an operation considering the way things are today. On some jobs after you dropped your train in Jamaica you ran to the lay up and reversed through the station to the West lay up and picked up another train for Penn Station.

Some reverse moves were made all the way back to Jamaica with the conductor using the signal whistle line to relay moves to the locomotive crew.

This all became outdated when the DD1s were taken out of service and trains were run into L.I. City and passengers had to make connections at Jamaica. These trains were handled by original crews and locomotives which then returned light to Morris Park. Crews and engines returned light to L.I. City in the P.M. for trips east. No more change of engines at Jamaica.

Mark Smith

#27487  by jayrmli

JJ is correct. Third rail at one time was installed on the Lower Montauk between Fresh Pond and the junction with the Rockaway Beach branch. This was done to service freight customers in Brooklyn on the Flatbush Ave Line and some Rockaway customers without having to go to Holban first. Since many perishables were handled on the Flatbush Avenue line, time was of the essence.

Jay

#27515  by Dave Keller

And that connection was called Glendale Junction.

Check out the latest and greatest on Art Huneke's website about Glendale and Glendale Junction at:

http://www.arrts-arrchives.com/glendale2.html

The electrification continued down the Montauk branch as well as mentioned in my previous post.

Dave Keller

#27523  by JoeLIRR

timz,

"0839 to Greenport
1020 to Montauk (summer only)
1456 Friday-only to Montauk
1546 The Cannon Ball to Montauk
1551 to Greenport
1630 to Montauk
1635 to Pt Jeff
1642 to Speonk
1701 to Oyster Bay
1707 to Pt Jeff

I would've guessed these were Standard Time, but it says they're Daylight."

On the 24 HR clock during "daylight savings time" thoes hours are all daylight.
here it is broken down.

0839 is the 8:39am to Greenport
1020 is the 10:20am to Montauk (summer only)
1456 is the 2:56pm Friday-only to Montauk
1546 is the 3:46pm Cannon Ball to Montauk
1551 is the 3:51pm to Greenport
1630 is the 4:30pm to Montauk
1635 is the 4:35pm to Pt Jeff
1642 is the 4:42pm to Speonk
1701 is the 5:01pm to Oyster Bay
1707 is the 5:07pm to Pt Jeff

IF you live here on LI during Daylight savings time, it is daylight during the above time.

#27542  by Dave Keller

By the way, the third rail was installed in 1928, after our acquisition of the DD1s from the Pennsy.

Dave Keller

#27702  by dukeoq

Dave, nice picture, but let's not confuse people with the term, "Montauk Cutoff"
Your picture of the underjump at Dunton is under the Montauk Branch.
The Montauk Cutoff is that section of railroad between Bliss and Yard A
JJ Earl

#27747  by Dave Keller

JJ:

You are absolutely correct.

I meant the term "Montauk cutoff" in this instance to refer to the access to the Montauk branch from the Atlantic branch via the underjump and related trackage past the Richmond Hill Storage Yard.

Didn't mean to confuse!

Dave Keller

#27769  by timz

The 9/35 empl TT, under "The following tracks are equipped for DC electrified service:"

"Between Fresh Pond, Glendale and east of Babylon to Highbie Lane (Montauk Branch)"

The 6/40 says

"Between Jay Block Station and Higbie Lane, east of Babylon, (Montauk Branch)"