Railroad Forums 

• Long freight on Mainline today

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#129511  by JoeG

About 4 PM I saw part of a long freight going east from Suffern at about 50 MPH. I couldn't catch up to the beginning of the train, so I don't know what kind of power it has. The part I saw was covered hoppers and a couple of empty lumber cars.
I'm curious whether this is regular NS traffic, or whether it represents CSX sending detour trains over the Southern Tier. On a topic on the NY State board, it was mentioned that detour trains might happen because of CSX problems in upstate New York. I don't know if these detours happened, and if they did, if they ended up on NYSW or on the Mainline.

#129531  by Sirsonic

It was most likely NS H07. They tend to run quite large on Sunday, usually between 70 and 100 cars. Many of them are grain for Bay States Milling in Passaic, which will be delieverd to Suffern. During the week H07 tends to run down and back in daylight, and can be from a handful of cars to quite a long train. It does seem that most of the traffic is moving to/from Suffern, with less for Cambell Hall.

#129606  by SecaucusJunction

96 cars by my count. Caught him going by Ramsey-Rt 17 at around 4:00.

#129678  by nick11a

Sirsonic wrote:It does seem that most of the traffic is moving to/from Suffern, with less for Cambell Hall.
Yes, I got the same feeling last time I was in the area.

#130458  by riffian

According to another forum, the H-07 has now gone back to nights and is on duty at Croxton at 5:30PM. According to this informed message, last night's version (Tuesday) left Croxton at 7:30 with 40 cars, 36 for Suffern and 4 for Campbell Hall.