Railroad Forums 

• Lone Engine in Medford, MA

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#152533  by AznSumtinSumtin

This morning at about 11:00 A.M., I saw a Guilford engine(couldn't see what model it was) on the Reading/Haverhill MBTA commuter rail line in Medford, just north of Wellington Station on the Orange Line subway. It was all by itself and wasn't moving. Can anyone explain why it was there?

#152775  by CSX Conductor

Probably waiting for permission to open-up at the hand-thrown switch there. The track it was on goes over the Orange Line and crosses Middlesex Avenue by BJ's to get to the freezer. I beleive there is a runaround next to the BJ's parking lot. Maybe GP40mc1118 can shed some more light on this operation.
Last edited by CSX Conductor on Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #152814  by GP40MC1118

The unit was the B&M 327, an ex-Conrail GP40. CSX conductor was right, they were probably either waiting for permission to open up the mainline switch to return to Somerville or waiting for the 8 minute rundown on the electric unlock.

The Medford Branch is as needed. BO-1 went out there with 3 loads and returned light engine.

Dave

#152993  by CSX Conductor

So that is the only customer up there, right?
 #153054  by GP40MC1118

I will give a tentative yes to that question, although I never saw the cars in question. There used to be a steel customer up there in recent times.

D