Railroad Forums 

• Locos lettered "Genesee Valley"

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#269289  by scottychaos

The new railpace (July 2006) has a great article on DL operations, focused on Scranton.

What caught my eye was the paint chart on page 31, with a bunch of loco drawings lettered "Genesee Valley" down the side of the long hood..
and one actual loco is now lettered "Genesee Valley"!
RS36 2035.

according to the roster, 2035 is assigned to the DL..
so where is the new "Genesee Valley" lettering coming from?
what is its purpose?
There is no GVT sub-road called "Genesee Valley"..

yes, I know GVT stands for "Genesee Valley Transportation" and began in Western NY..which is where the "Genesee" comes from..
but why would a DL loco be lettered GV instead of DL?

are ALL GVT locos perhaps going to eventually wear "Genesee Valley" instead of being lettered for their sub-roads? such as DL, Depew Lancaster & Western, Falls Road, MHWA, etc?
that might make sense, since locos get swapped around between the various roads all the time anyway...

The article did not explain this mysterious new GV lettering..
any one know where the new "GV" lettering is coming from?
and what it means?

I like it! :P
it just isnt making sense to me yet..

thanks,
Scot

#269491  by AdamCKach

For the sake of support, I have been wondering the same since I saw the widecab RS with GV lettering. Though conformity is great, I'd hate to see the DL lose its names on its locomotives. It's as close to DL&W as we can get in the Scranton area. :)

#269575  by Alcoman

The locomotives lettered Genesee Valley are "floaters" meaning they can be used or assigned anywhere on the GVT system.
The "DL" is home base. BTW, The recently painted M420 # 2045 is also lettered "Genesee Valley".

#269578  by Lirr168

So everyone can see the locos and schemes in question:

N.B. all these photos were taken just this week

-Kyle

#269592  by alcodoc

Not to worry.......Other engines will be painted with Delaware-Lackawanna lettering. The 405 is next and will be a DL locomotive.

Alcodoc

#269782  by scottychaos

interesting! :P
thanks everyone.

woo hoo! 405 lives! :P
looking forward to seeing her in her new scheme.

Scot

#272778  by dansapo

What are the chances that they will paint the GE centercab...NOT :wink:

#273629  by njmidland

My understanding is any 3 axle diesels will be lettered DL as they are not likely to operate on any of the other GVT lines.

#274994  by nessman

dansapo wrote:What are the chances that they will paint the GE centercab...NOT :wink:
Actually, it's already been done...

... well, in Train Simulator that is.

I did this repaint and uploaded it one of the train sim sites a few years ago.