Railroad Forums 

• Lockhaven area questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#146706  by pgengler

This is something I've been curious about, but just never got around to asking. My brother is going to college at Lockhaven University, and so I've had the chance to be out there twice (though not for very long). Near the campus, there's a single track (I believe) which, I'm told, gets some overnight freight (my source for this: my brother commenting about hearing trains at night; I don't have any sort of details).

So my questions are:
Whose track is this?
How often is it used (if it actually is)?

#146726  by pgengler

Thanks for the info. At some point, I'll have to try to get out that way again to check it out (along with the NS line it interchanges with).

#146865  by njtmnrrbuff

I think there are movements during the day.

#146888  by pgengler

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I think there are movements during the day.
There very well might be; I think I've spend a grand total of maybe an hour there (over two days), so I could certainly have missed anything; not to mention that I didn't check out the NS line. Next time I talk to my brother, I'll try to remember to ask about it, though he's not into trains, so he might not have been paying attention much.
 #147100  by glennk419

pgengler wrote:This is something I've been curious about, but just never got around to asking. My brother is going to college at Lockhaven University, and so I've had the chance to be out there twice (though not for very long). Near the campus, there's a single track (I believe) which, I'm told, gets some overnight freight (my source for this: my brother commenting about hearing trains at night; I don't have any sort of details).

So my questions are:
Whose track is this?
How often is it used (if it actually is)?
The track that runs along the Lockhaven U campus is the NS (ex PRR) Buffalo Line. There is a PRR position light signal just west (north) of the crossing which belies its' heritage. NBER interchanges with this line at Lockhaven yard, where you can often see power from both railroads.

#148121  by jebradley

Since NS has downgraded the Buffalo Line you won't see too much action although I believe there are still coal trains from Clearfield area passing through Lock Haven. I recall seeing that position light signal near the grade crossing, with a New York Central F7 and train sitting under it - an unusual sight! NYC had trackage rights from Keating, PA, north of Renovo, to McElhattan, PA, just east of Lock Haven, where their own line went to Jersey Shore, then up the 'Grand Canyon' to Corning, NY and north. All abandoned now. From Keating, NYC went to Clearfield and then down into bituminous coal country nearly , but not quite, to Johnstown and Indiana, PA. Lock Haven has a grand scenic setting along the Susquehanna -great color in the fall.
James E. Bradley Hawk Mountain Chaper N.R.H.S.