• Location of this LV line?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by charlie6017

nydepot wrote:A reply from George Lane:

"I believe it was in or near Horseheads, NY."

So a detour train on the PRR?
That can't be right, given the LV style milepost and telephone box.......

Charlie
  by charlie6017

Part of me is wondering if that bridge is the Rte. 34 bridge over the Ithaca Branch in Spencer? Would the
track layout at that time be consistent for the time period? I know that was a single-track branch, but was
there a siding there? Could also explain the lack of a signal since in was dark territory.

Charlie
  by TB Diamond

Additional facts: Arranged freight train service, LVRR west end per LVRR ETT No.9 in effect October 27, 1968:

Westward:

Adv. FFW-1 Dpt. Sayre 1:15 A.M., Arr. Manchester 3:15 A.M. Wed-Thurs-Friday
FFW-1 Dpt. Sayre 3:45 A.M. Arr. Tifft Terminal 10:00 A.M. Daily
JB-3 Dpt. Sayre 9:30 A.M., Arr. Tifft Terminal 10:00 P.M. Daily
JS-5 Dpt. Sayre 11:45 A.M. Arr. Suspension Bridge 10:30 P.M.

Eastward:

BJ-2 Dpt. Tifft Terminal 6:30 A.M. Arr. Sayre 4:15 P.M. Daily
MJ-2 Dpt. Manchester 4:00 P.M. Arr. Sayre 7:00 P.M. Daily
BJ-8 Dpt. Tifft Terminal 6:30 P.M. Arr. Sayre 3:45 A.M. Daily
COJ-32 Dpt. Suspension Bridge 11:00 P.M. Arr. Sayre 6:15 A.M. Daily
  by TB Diamond

Is that not a signal on the extreme right hand side of the photo? Possibly I am the only one to notice it?

No siding at Spencer.

Per LVRR Zone E Bulletin No. 758 effective 8:01 A.M. Wednesday September 13, 1961: Automatic Block Signal System Van Etten Jct.-Geneva Jct. Ithaca Branch abandoned except.....eastward signal I 2872 (approach to Van Etten Jct.) located 650 feet east of MP 288.
Last edited by TB Diamond on Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by nydepot

charlie6017 wrote:
nydepot wrote:A reply from George Lane:

"I believe it was in or near Horseheads, NY."

So a detour train on the PRR?
That can't be right, given the LV style milepost and telephone box.......

Charlie
I've emailed him back.
  by CPSmith

[quote="TB Diamond"]Is that not a signal on the extreme right hand side of the photo? Possibly I am the only one to notice it?

Yes, that is a signal head. Also, LV phone box, LV milepost - I think we can say this is on the LV.

Maybe here? It's right next to the road (which I believe to be Rt. 34). A little pixelated as the file size is reduced.
  by ctclark1

Wrong track is abandoned/poles on wrong side.

I'm sticking by my thoughts that this is the east end of Hinman, between the signal, the phone box (abandoned doesn't necessarily mean removed), the curve, the utility poles (by utility I mean the electric line running across the photo, not the telegraph poles, obviously), the sign that I still stick by saying at least a 29x, and the hilly background (the terrain rises quite a bit east of 224).

Oh, and this could definitely be considered "near Horseheads" it's only about 10 miles out and it wouldn't be uncommon for a generalization to put a "near" within that distance.
  by CPSmith

Not sure what you're looking at - the poles are on the outside of the curve in both photos. As for the "wrong" track being abandoned - you're making an assumption they did no track work or realignment for a newer bridge - not sure we can assume anything at this point. But hey, I guess your eyes are better than mine - I still can't make out the milepost. :-D
  by nydepot

Reply email again. I think a bit confused:

"This was taken in Horseheads, Elmira Heights or Elmira. There was a LV line running from there to Ithaca and then Seneca Falls and over to Geneva."
  by nydepot

nydepot wrote:Reply email again. I think a bit confused:

"This was taken in Horseheads, Elmira Heights or Elmira. There was a LV line running from there to Ithaca and then Seneca Falls and over to Geneva."
Rt. 34 in Van Etten? Same type of bridge abutments in the 1968 photo. No white building though.
  by Matt Langworthy

nydepot wrote:Reply email again. I think a bit confused:

The track was lifted between Horseheads and Alpine Junction (or possibly Van Etten) in 1938. There is no way that train could have gone from Horseheads to Ithaca via an all-LV route in the 1960s or '70s.
  by sd80mac

looking at background of hill. I can see the crop or open space on the hill.

I looked at google earth.. I don't see that except for small area at lower part of hill. I placed myself on the trackbed of approximate location where photographer is.

yeah I know it's almost 50 years since then. But google earth shows full growth of forest on top part of hill.
  by sd80mac

A person said that the line, EC&N, between Ithaca and horseheads was killed in 1930's and that line was single line.
  by sd80mac

I looked up the record plans for state highways on RT 224...

1911 and 1914 showed that it was grade crossing.

There was project for bridge removal, over LV RR, but on new alignment of RT 224 in 1981. It shows that there was no bridge and they used that old road as detour. it appears to be flat, no embankments for that old bridge.

I guess that someone need to go to town highway dept or county engineering office and look up for record plans on that road (old RT 224 which state most likely gave to county)
  by nydepot

I don't think he meant the EC&N in his reply; I also know when the EC&N went out. I think he was thinking the old line to Auburn then over the SF and Geneva. Again, that didn't see C628s either. I think it' safe to say that this avenue was not going to pan out, unfortunately.