Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1525604  by MattAmity90

Well, that's no surprise because they said that once the Railroad Avenue bridge was completed, all the work crews would commence on School Street. Covert Avenue elimination crews are 75% of the way through completing the Second and Third Avenue bridge spans. It's coming along beautifully, but the excavators and heavy duty men and women have moved over to New Hyde Park Road where it has gotten quite busy as you can see by that screenshot I took.
 #1527861  by Head-end View

The Urban Ave. over/underpass in Westbury is now totally completed including Railroad Ave. passing over Urban Ave. Work is now underway at the School St. location. There is a major excavation on the northeast corner of the crossing which I believe will be for the construction of a pumping station for the stormwater in the underpass. I'm not sure why Urban Ave. did not need one also. And School St. is now closed southbound from Union Ave. south about halfway to Old Country Rd. And there is major excavating going on there south of the tracks. Don't know exactly what it's for.
 #1528422  by REM3Night

I believe that the work/excavation on School Street is for the relocation of utilities. As mentioned previously the Acme building is gone.
Several weeks ago I had to go south to Old Country Road and I usually use School Street and discovered that it was closed southbound. I went back to Post Avenue and it was very congested. I took a parallel road to Orchard Street and then to Post - still badly congested - I went under the bridge and turned onto RR Avenue - cut through Holy Rood Cemetery to Old Country Road - no traffic.
Ray
 #1528557  by Backshophoss

Since this was going to happen Nassau tower has ben remoted to JSCC,sometime in late Aug to mid Sept.
This wa noted in Dec 19 RMC Editor's notebook entry.
Does anybody have the date when the Block operator's job was vacated and remoted to JSCC?
 #1528634  by MattAmity90

Jeff we are now going to have four of the eight eliminated by this Summer. School Street in Westbury, and New Hyde Park Road in New Hyde Park are prepped. Even though they have to blow their horns less, they have to blow their horns often because of the track workers. What I've seen in videos:

1.) Floral Park has an elevator(s) under construction.
2.) New Hyde Park's temporary platforms extend from 12th Street to basically the Covert Avenue bridge.
3.) A switch has been put in place where the tracks go over Herricks Road.
4.) Merillon Avenue is, well I don't know where to start.
5.) Numerous miles of sound walls have been erected, and the Northern slope to the West of Carle Place looks more like a cliff. One false move and think the poles will go down. It looks more like a viaduct without walls nestled on a hill that is missing a slope.
6.) Hicksville still has that switch for the third track laid to the West.
 #1528635  by bellstbarn

Sound walls along the new 3rd track area! It ruins photography, but I think it is a great idea, even if NIMBYs requested them. I have long complained about the trestle at Bellmore. Something about its design causes much noise. Compare that to the effective low sound barriers along JFK Airtrain.
 #1528654  by Head-end View

So Backshophoss, you're saying that Nassau Tower has been closed and its functions are now at JSCC since September? That's what I thought would happen, but a while back someone on here suggested that a temporary tower or cabin would be built on the lot at Willis Ave.
 #1528724  by MattAmity90

Hopefully, they relocate NASSAU tower in the triangle where the Oyster Bay Branch diverts from the Main Line, unless that was already in the plans. Believe me Bellstbarn, they maybe unsightly and praised by NIMBY's but I can picture the finished project looking like the Port Washington Branch sans being in the style of a trench or ditch. It will almost look like the Berlin Wall except elevated slightly from a driver's POV in his car.
 #1528782  by Head-end View

There seems to be some difference of opinion on this board re: the current status of Nassau Tower. I don't know either of the posters involved, so I'm hard pressed to know who to believe. I've been listening to Channel-1 today to see if I hear Nassau Tower.
 #1528834  by workextra

Fact is. Nassau tower is as of this posting 12/20/2019 still alive and well, and looking good for the season.

I’ve been informed of a possible spring time transfer from the current on location in Nassau to Remote-JCC (March/April) but as of last night I had been told possibly around July now. Hope that helps.

As for the finished project. Yeah I guess it would look like a much lower profile of the flushing-Murray hill trench.
 #1528978  by Jeff Smith

YouTube AModernLI: 2019 End of Year Milestone

http://www.amodernli.com/work-begins-at ... oral-park/
Support of excavation work has begun for the new Plainfield Avenue bridge in Floral Park, one of several bridges that have been or will be replaced as part of the LIRR Expansion project from Floral Park to Hicksville. Once this phase of construction is complete, work will start on the bridge abutment.

The Plainfield Avenue Bridge will receive a new single-track span to accommodate the additional track with the LIRR Expansion Project. In service since 1958, this 12’-9” bridge has been the site of many accidents over the years by trucks striking the bridge, resulting in train delays in both directions while LIRR crews worked to determine the bridge’s safety and structural stability before restoring train service. The new bridge’s height clearance of 14’ will allow trucks to safely pass underneath. Work on the Plainfield Avenue Bridge follows the completion by the MTA of five major LIRR bridge projects in 2019 alone.

The bridge is expected to be completed by the end of spring 2020. For more information and construction photos, please visit the Plainfield Avenue Bridge Modification project page on AModernLI.com.

The construction of a third track from Floral Park to Hicksville will reduce train congestion and delays and enable true bi-directional service during peak hours with a more reliable rail network. This transformative work includes several related projects, including the construction of parking garages, retaining walls, improvements to rail bridges and the removal of eight street-level grade crossings. Construction is being managed to minimize the impact on daily routines, with extensive mitigation and public outreach efforts in local communities. For more information, please visit the LIRR Expansion Project Floral Park to Hicksville project page on AModernLI.com.
 #1529043  by MattAmity90

The major milestone projects completed in 2019 for the Third Track Project:

1.) Urban Avenue grade crossing elimination.
2.) Covert Avenue grade crossing elimination.
3.) South Tyson Avenue bridge replacement.
4.) Nassau Boulevard bridge replacement.
5.) Cherry Lane bridge replacement.

Milestone projects set to be completed in 2020:

1.) School Street grade crossing elimination.
2.) New Hyde Park Road grade crossing elimination.
3.) Carle Place station rehabilitation/platforms.
4.) Merillon Avenue station rehabilitation/platforms.
5.) Relocation of NASSAU Tower.
6.) Plainfield Avenue bridge replacement.
7.) Sound barriers installed along the stretch.
8.) South Denton Avenue bridge replacement?