• LIRR hiring Assistant Conductors

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LIengineerBob

As far as I know the only thing they look for on your driving record abstract is a DWI/DUI conviction. I can't see them using a parking ticket (that don't even go on your licence....gee how do you parallel park a 10 car trains of MU's!!) or even a stop sign/light violation against you. I've had several red light tickets over my career (no wonder I no longer drive)and none has ever affected my position.
I can say one thing though....the initial hiring process (for both trainmen and engineers) is vastly different then what it was when I started out!!

by JoeLIRR

Other then DUI/DWI violations, any other traffic issue, would not fit. EX. you took a read,well some yellows are not long enough, and if one were to stop they would do 1 of 2 things, sotp in the middle of the intersection or 2 caus an accident.
NOTE: the avg, person a "approch" yellow TRFFIC light means hurry up and get to the next one.. no one can say that they have never have done this.

Oveall a train dont have a "steering wheel" and u need more qulifications and training then just a "permit" 20 question exam that is commonsene and a road test. Driving is Driving, buit driving a train is a totality difrent way of driving then when your in your own car...
  by RC '75

What are the different responsibilities between a conductor and an assistant conductor?

by DutchRailnut

one is the boss the other just a ticket collector and handbrake pumper ;-)

by mark777

UHHH, no, we're not just a ticket collector and hand brake pumper. A Conductor is a person who is fully qualified on the physical characteristics of the RR and the Book of Rules. A conductor is basically the boss of the entire train, (including over the engineer, although you can't go anywhere without the Engineer). A conductor does collect fares as well. A fully qualified Conductor can and do have the role of an Asst Conductor/ Brakeman if they choose those jobs, or they can run as Conductors. As an Asst Conductor, you have many responsibilties that are closely in par with those of the Conductor. You will throw switches, you will trouble shoot when you have equipment problems, you will be responsible for doors, and quite a few other things. An Asst conductor is a serious position that should not be taken lightly, and your safe actions are highly depended on the safe operation of a train. remember that a train crew is made up of 3 people. The Conductor, the Engineer, and the Brakeman/ Asst Conductor. (on LIRR trains). Don't short change the position of Asst Conductor, it's just as important as a Conductor's position.

Bluebelly said it all pretty much. The Asst Conductor test is not a joke. I went through a very tortureous 6 months just to get here. If you study hard and possess a good memory, you will do good. Yes, the test IS WORD FOR WORD! The LIRR test is rumored to be the hardest RR test in the country and ranked up there as one of the hardest tests to take along side such tests as the Bar Exam for Attorneys. This is truly a job that you get paid for what you know. At present time, from what I have heard, they will not be hiring many more Asst. Conductors in the nearer future. In fact, the rumor is that the class that is due to come out either before the year end or at the begining of 2005 may not go through. All just rumors, but the seniority list and amount of jobs are already being filled with not enough retirements happening. I would still try to put in your resume, and try doing it through the internet. Thats how I got the job, well, I actually started out in the warehouse as a forklift driver, then onto station cleaner and then onto Asst. Conductor. The RR has many jobs available that don't necessarily require you to go through a vigorous test like the ones that Asst Conductors go through. And oh yeah, After two years pass as an Asst Conductor, you must qualify to become a Conductor, (Mandatory), and that will be times 10 worse than what you will go through to become an Asst Conductor. Many people fail this test on the first and second tries, but if you study, you will do just fine. To become an Engineer, you must do the same as the Conductors and qualify, but they get more into airbrakes and equipment than do Conductors. But both must go through a painfull process of class, studying and nerve wrecking exams. Good luck. It's a great job to have.

by jayrmli

Oh No!!! Not another debate on who's more important. Engr vs. Condr, Condr vs. Engr.

We've done this already. All of the jobs are important and serve their purpose.

Jay

by DutchRailnut

Nobody said anything about importance, I just gave the simplest comparison of both crafts, Conductor Vs Trainperson. without going into detail.

by Liquidcamphor

The Engineer program is a little different for Engineer's than it is for Conductors.

Once accepted to the Engineer Training program you will show up in Morris Park to learn basic "Air Brake", engine troubleshooting, moving light locomotives around the shops, etc. You'll work Hostling jobs where you work with Engineer's who "own" the Hostling jobs. Then you must pass a Hostling test...taking hand signs, basic safety in Yards, operating lite engines, operating on and off the turn-table, etc. After that you are assigned to Yard drilling, Hostling or Change of Engines jobs working with Engineer's. A few weeks of that mixed in with possibly some classroom training then you are assigned to passenger runs on the Northern Branches of the Railroad. Approximately 6 mos. later, you will have to pass a full Book of Rules test, Physical Characteristic test on the Branches you ran on, Air Brake test on the equipment you have worked on and train handling tests with a Road Foreman. After that, you then operate on the Southern Branches and anywhere you may need help. You'll then take a final which is once again, a full Book of Rules test, Physical Characterisics on the entire Railroad, Air Brake on all the equipment and train handling with a Road Foreman.

On any test, you have TWO chances. If you fail anything twice your out. You can get a perfect score on written tests, but, if you fail train handling twice you are out and vice-versa.

Basically, over the year of training, you will get tested on the full Book of Rules twice, Physical Characteristics twice and Air Brake twice. Train handling you can get tested twice( midterm and year) or once depending on what they want (midterm OR year). Engineer Zone A (AMTRAK) is a WRITTEN and verbal test.

It is a lot to learn and do for the short amount of time you get. You'll do nothing but railroad for a year. It's a great career and recommend it to anyone who seeks a promotion from there present postion, whatever it may be, or seeks a railroad career from outside the Railroad.

Good luck hope this helps.
Last edited by Liquidcamphor on Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

by LIRailfan79

What kind of hours do conductors work? do they have a 5 day week or 6 day week?

whats a typical day like?

by weakcheeks

RC '75 don't listen to Dutch Railnut. Dutch is bitter that he has to slum it at Metro North.

I hear it's much easier to "qualify" as a conductor a Metro North than at the LIRR.

by JoeLIRR

How often are condnuctors and engineers re tested after they pass there initical exam.

by bluebelly

JoeLIRR wrote:How often are condnuctors and engineers re tested after they pass there initical exam.
Every 2 years.

by mark777

Both Engineers and Conductors/ Brakemans are guaranteed a 5 day work week. If you're lucky enough (or unlucky depending on the individual) you may be able to work on your relief days (your weekends). So technically you may be able to work 7 days. But during your first few years on the job, you may not be called out on your relief days at all. I have only worked 1 relief day so far in the past 9 months. DO NOT expect to be off on the weekends, in fact, kiss your weekends good bye. You might be able to land something that may have weekends off, but it won't last much. You will also most likely work half night jobs ( jobs which start during the afternoon and end between say 9pm to anything like 1 or 2am.

Jobs typically last around 8 hours, some less some more, but everyone is entitled to 8 hours of pay, even if the job is only 6 hours and 55 minutes long. Some jobs pay overtime which exceed 8 hours. No one can exceed 12 hours of work unless there is an emergency (i.e. The Blackout of '03). Most jobs typically have you doing around two round trips such as Penn to Babylon and then Penn to Hunt. As a collector however, you will have up to 8 different trains to do. You won't necessarily take the train on its entire run. You might just go from Penn to jamaica and then back. These jobs can be a real pain since you have to jump from train to train, and you're not part of any crew. As a brakeman, you stay with your crew all day, and you have a much better chance of making a little extra money. Engineers actually have more ways to make money. Thats where the money is, and you don't have to deal with annoying commuters. Engineers can actually make more than 8 hours of pay, but without exceeding the 12 hour limit. Being an Engineer or Trainman is an awesome job to have. It may have crappy hours at first, but the benefits of this job by far outweigh all the bad things.
  by Donovan

Can anyone help me with regard to where I can get the material to study in preperation for the class. I would like book of rules (specifically what I need to know), air brake, and if possible physical characteristics. I have now mastered the definitions and signals (given in the pre-employment class) but would like to prepare more????

Thanks

P.S. Yes, I am willing to pay.

by krispy

Don't pay a friggin' dime. Also, it's better to hear from the instructors themselves as opposed to some crap off of the internet or someone from another road about air brake or PC. This is account of your having to pass our tests, which is unique and also so you don't get confused at how someone else does it. Beyond learning what is seen on "The Map" (stations, branches, etc.) again, wait as they will tell you what they want for the tests.

If you have the definitions, then know them cold - that in itself is huge and one less thing to worry about once you begin...