• LIRR hiring Assistant Conductors

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LIRailfan79

Hello,

i'm new to this board. i'm 25 and recently graduated college (may 2002).
for the past two years i've been working as an auditor for a long island supermarket chain (handling cash and customer service and a variety of other tasks). i'm also taking Accounting classes at hofstra at night.
the reason i'm posting is because i noticed the LIRR has an employment add up looking for assistant conductors, i read the qualifications list and realized i'm probably very qualified for the job (given my college education and work experience).
the only thing i'd like more info on is what kind of pay would i be making if i was hired?, how many days a week does a conductor work and how many hours per day? i'm well aware of the 24/7 nights and holidays aspect of the job.
they mentioned there's a vocabulary, math and a physical abilities test, all of which i should do fine on, but if anyone has had any experience with these that would be greatly appreciated.

also, can anyone give me some good reasons not to go for the job (besides the nights / holidays )

thanks!

by JoeLIRR

Jump on Line With the Rest of us that want the Job.

there are plenty of folks on this bord that can full you in with the correct details bout the postition.

by LIRailfan79

well, if they're out there please speak up!.

when do you graduate college? have you applied for the job as a conductor yet?

by JoeLIRR

Im only in my second yr. at NCC. I have send Many Resumes in but no luck yet.

Untill the lucky strike happens, all i can to is wait and keep sending in resumes.

1 things that is for shure is that it is not going to be easy..

by Lupo 10

I have heard (but cannot speak from experience) that there is a 14 week training course that is unpaid. I believe it happens during the days or at nights (2 to 3 days per week?). So you can theoretically work your current job and go to the classes. I've thought about this in the past, but where I live, where I work and how I'd pull that off seemed near impossible. I don't recall where I heard this info. I might have even read it on the MTA site. Not sure.

by Johnny B

I've been through the procedure a few times... The first stage goes down at Hillside. You are shown a film about safety while working on RR property. Then there is a preliminary math test-- you know the type-- "A customer wants two off-peak tickets to Jamaica. It's a Saturday, and she gives you $30.00-- How much change should you give her?"... I seem to remeber a vocabulary test, too. If you get through that (not really that hard), you will receive a basic interview, where you're asked if you will commit to LOOOOOONG hours of study to pass the book of rules tests. If you're able to impress them, they will call you back for a panel interview, which goes down in Jamaica. Then the training program starts, where you are uncompensated. It's now offered on weekends and/or nights (14 weeks sounds about right), but 100% attendance is mandatory. There will then be a big test on the first part of the rules and memorization of the system (yikes!). If you pass that, they bring you on as a contingent employee (paid), but there are still tests to pass before you become an AC. I got past the first interview a few times and had one panel interview. I backed out on all occasions because I have two young kids, a mortgage, and a wife that demands attention! There are MANY variables in a burgeoning RR career, and I couldn't take that many risks. It's probably better suited to a young guy like yourself, with no dependents. For some reason, though, I can help but keep sending them resumes (sniff!) :-(. Oh, yah, I almost forgot-- they love customer service experience. So if you've worked for Macy's for years like I did, you might get a call!

by Johnny B

Sorry-- that's "CAN'T" help sending them resumes...

by LIRailfan79

yeah, i read about the training program and it does seem quite intense, i'm wondering more though what the working conditions are like once you become a conducter, like how many days a week, hours per day. where does your day usually begin and end etc..
if anyone has any info on that it would be great

by bluebelly

OK let me tell you what it really is like.This is gonna be long but I want to be accurate.
Keep sending in your resume one a month or so until you recieve a post card saying that your resume has been recieved. If they are interested they will contact you and give you a day to report for appititude test. Usually at Hibernian Hall in Babylon. There you will recieve a very basic idea of what the job entails and will take a math and a reading comprehension test, if you pass you will be given a personality test. Then you will have an very basic interview and fill out a job application. One word of caution, the RR realizes that people "enhance" there resumes and accept that, however your job application must be 100% accurate believe me they will check. Asuming you get through all of that and they are interested you will be contacted and a date will be set for a panel interview. If you get through that you will be invited to an overview where you will recive a better idea of whats ahead and a packet of signals and definitions. You most memorize these WORD FOR WORD You will have to spend almost all of your time studying! In three weeks you will be tested on the material if you pass you will be invited to Phase 1 of the training. (by the way if at any point in the process you have difficulties and you are offered another postion,coach cleaner, station cleaner, whatever, take it. After a year you can move) Anyway Phase 1 is 14 weeks unpaid. You will attend are 2 three hour weekday sessions 1 8 hour class on Saturdays at the Hillside Facility. They offer the weekday classes at night so you can keep your present job. Unless they have changed it since I hired on, you are allowed 4 lates or 2 absence (2 lates will be counted as one absence) Some advice here, don't drive, take the train to class. If you are on a legal train which is a train scheduled to arrive before your class starts, and the train is delayed it will not count against you.
You will be learn and be tested on the Book of Rules (2 tests for the Book, midterm and final), Tickets, Airbrake and Passenger Train Emergency procedures You must pass all tests with an 80%.Be prepared to spend all of your free time studying. Also while you are in class the RR will be performing a background check so again make sure that your job application is correct and verifiable. You will also have a medical exam. The exam will incude drug tests, hearing and eye tests including testing for color blindness.
If you get through all of this you will began Pase 2 of the training which is about 3-4 weeks is paid, and there are no more tests. After that you will be unleashed on the world as a newly minted Ass'T Conductor.
I like the job. I have made a lot of close freinds on the RR. The hours can be rough and you will work weekends ,holidays, etc. But if you can deal with that it is great. Senority is everything so as you move up things get better. In 2 years you will be required to qualify as a Conductor. If you fail to qualify you will loose your job. Most people study for a year or more.
Well there it is in a very big nutshell.

by LIRailfan79

how difficult is the conductors exam? is it long? do you know what the percentage is of people who take it compared to how many pass?

once you become a conductor how much upward mobility is there? like if you do a good job is it very likely that you may be promoted into a different position in the railroad? what kind of position?

oh, you mentioned an eye test, i don't have 20/20 vision, but i do wear glasses that make it 20/20 is that an issue? (i'm not color blind)

by bluebelly

LIRailfan79 wrote:how difficult is the conductors exam? is it long? do you know what the percentage is of people who take it compared to how many pass?

once you become a conductor how much upward mobility is there? like if you do a good job is it very likely that you may be promoted into a different position in the railroad? what kind of position?

oh, you mentioned an eye test, i don't have 20/20 vision, but i do wear glasses that make it 20/20 is that an issue? (i'm not color blind)
The Conductors exams are very difficult. There are 4 tests. First is the Book of Rules, which is much more in depth then what you will do in Ass'T Conductor class. That test will be in 3 parts. A signal test which you must score 100% on, then a 75 question written test, 75% is passing, then a verbal test. After that is the really tough one the Physical Characteristics Test. This is also a 3 parts test. Rules in Effect test a which like the signal test you have to get 100% . A 75 question written test again 75% is passing, then a verbal exam. Next comes Airbrake which is much more indepth then what you did in AC class. This is written only and if I recall is 50 questions. Finally after all this you have to quallify on Amtrak Zone A since we operate in Amtrak territory. This test is verbal only and is administerd by the Amtrak Rules Dept.
You have 7 chances to pass each test, however after a 3rd failure on any test you will taken out of service and remain out of work until you pass, this will also result is loss of senority. Anyone who qualifies while you are out of service will jump a head of you on the Conductors Roster. For example I passed everything on the 1st shot and I passed about 15 people. They are still ahead of me on the overall Roster, but they are behind me in the Qualified Conductors Roster.
As far as what % pass I have no way of knowing, but the vast majority pass, though quite a few people end up going out of service. What I can tell you is that of the 30 or so people I hired on with 2 got fired becuse they could not qualify. The bottom line is it is a vast amount of material, but it is not impossible, I am not a Rocket Scientist and I did it , but you must be prepared to study a couple of hours a day for a year or so. I don't want to sound cold, but the people who lost their jobs did so beacuse they did not put the time in.
As far as upward mobility after a year you can apply for other positions, 3 or 4 people from my class went over to engine service, that is not an upward move, it is lateral. ( I am sure that the engineers who post here will say it is upward :-D ) After qualifying you can try to become a transportation manager,which is advancement but with out going I detail and getting into pay rates (which under no circumstances will I discuss here) I will say that I see no advantage to becoming a Boss . And quite a few disadvantages, that bis a personal choice and everyone has a different agenda.
You don't have to have 20/20 vesion, I wear glasses. You have to be able to pass the test with your glasses on. Color blindeness is more important. If you are color blind or colr deficient you will not be hired.
as an Asst Conductor (but you could get hired in another position) as was the case with 2 people in my AC class.

by bluebelly

[mm
Last edited by bluebelly on Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

by emfinite

I have heard if you have a moving violation on your driving record that you cannot become an engineer. What is the real truth behind this? I have a parking ticket (I know it's not a moving violation) and a stop sign ticket on my record. Will that make things hard for me?

by JoeLIRR

With out having to start a new thred, can anyone, explain what the testing/classes are like for a locomotive engineer. and what does the RR look for when hireing engineers.
  by Donovan

JoeLirr asks about the Locomotive Engineer Position (I started a link a month or so ago) but I will tell you first hand. Sorry if it is too long.
I just went through the process, but perhaps Bluebelly can add...besides I have questions that he may be able to answer.
I sent in resumes and finally got called for interview and tests (vocab, and schematic & word type of test). That day they hand you a booklet with signals (10) and definitions (10 I think). If they call you for another interview (i.e. you did well on the tests and intial interview), you must come having memorized all the signals and definitions word for word. Obviously you need to do well on this, but the interview is pretty extensive as well. Assuming you do well here, you will be invited to a Locomotive Engineer overview class (in Simulator blg.) where you are given a 'bible' of all (86 signal name, aspects, and indications) AND approximately 60 definitions, ie. MAIN TRACK - "A designated track upon which...". Here is where the fun starts. :( You must memorize ALL of this in 3 weeks (This was real tough for us outsiders). Anyway they administer the test in 2 parts when you return in 3 weeks. First the signals, and you must score 100% and be able to Name each signal (all were on there) exactly. The second part were definitions. They asked either sigal definitions or the 'regular' definitions. Again word word. On this part you must score at least 80. Well I got a 100 and 70 and was disapointed. My brain just didn't have that capacity. I put in an average of 6-8 hours per day. This was the hardest thing I ever studied for, and have all the respect in the world for the folks that got through. About 10 people of 22 in my group made it. Then it is on to the 14 week class. (Sat and Wed nights). My question to anyone out there (because I can/will apply in a year) is does anyone have all the info that is covered in the 14 weeks and the 1 year training? If so, how can I get it? I want to be ready next time! Good luck to all you guys. If I can help let me know!