Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1574029  by Head-end View

Listening to LIRR Channel-2, there seems to be a lot of problems with this new system. I hear engineers calling in malfunctions to 204 a lot and 204 giving permission to cut out ACSES. And I heard one frustrated 204-dispatcher telling an engineer that they need to document these incidents in the hopes that it will start getting fixed........... Can anyone tell us what sort of problems they're having?

Also, am I correct to assume that when ACSES is cut out that LIRR's conventional ASC or ATC is still in operation protecting train movements?
 #1575577  by RestrictOnTheHanger

Another question. Does PTC allow trains to close in on each other closely within interlockings and station platforms like ASC did? As in a train is stopped at a station (Huntington, Babylon, Jamaica, etc) and its follower pulls up behind it at restricted speed. Then as the first train starts to pull out the follower also starts moving. I havent seen that at Huntington the few times I was there after PTC was turned on
 #1575611  by Head-end View

An educated guess; I would assume that it can still be done. When a train pulls up close to the one in front of it, it's operating on a restricting signal or on a stop-and-proceed at restricted speed signal. PTC should permit the same movements on those same signal indications. At least that's my logical assumption........
 #1575614  by ExCon90

As PTC is still fairly new, could there be some hesitancy on the part of engineers which would prompt them to think "I'm not sure -- better not risk moving, don't need any more hassles"?
 #1602065  by BOMOPTSKWH

The problem is-IT DOES NOT WORK. Another unfunded government mandate, spun from media outcry that “Something Needs To Be Done!” The LIRR ASC system is perfectly functional and this PTC and ACES crap is nothing but another job justifying MTA scam. After the grade crossing encounter in Westbury, where the train struck a car going around the gates, derailed and struck the westbound platform-That idiot Schumer actually said PTC would have prevented it. The system is worthless in Jamaica, Flatbush and Penn. Three areas it was said to be most important. Trains can’t creep up on STOP signals- often fouling switches behind it. And failures? Please. Another disaster. Another money pit.
 #1602110  by Head-end View

I think the LIRR should have been given a waiver on the PTC requirement since it did already have its well proven ASC System. Let's remember that much of the country did not have any form of automatic back-up system to insure compliance with signals. And many collisions resulted over the years because of that. The most recent one that was the catalyst for the Feds in mandating PTC was the head-on crash in Los Angeles between a commuter train and a freight train that was caused by an engineer texting who ran through a stop signal.

That the nation's railroads are in this predicament now with this new technology is partly the result of so many railroads never having installed a system like LIRR's ASC with the predictable results. Had most railroads installed such systems over the years, the present fiasco might not be happening .
 #1602127  by BOMOPTSKWH

In the initial roll out of this PTC scam- we were told NEVER NEVER EVER push THE RED BUTTON!!!!!! Death or unemployment would certainly result!!!!!! The red button is the bypass. Recent and mounting failures, glitches and stupid new contradictions result in pushing the red button often. What a scam.