Railroad Forums 

• Lincoln ME Mill

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1007251  by cpf354

No mention was made in the story about Lincoln's inbound rail service.
 #1007466  by newpylong

If trucking to Worcester is cheaper this guy isn't doing something right, lol.
 #1008081  by JB283

It might help if the tracks where in better shape. If the tracks where good, i could say if WASJ/SJWA would switch the mill on its way by or if PAR would put an old war horse there as a switcher. I remember my father telling me that there really isnt a lot of stuff to be switched out at Lincoln when he used to work for Guilford back in the mid to late 1980s. But they switched it on there way to and from Mattawamkeag.
 #1008159  by soday

Yep - I noticed this discussion today while surfing at lunch and realized that I could join in with some of the 300+ shots I took on my exploration of the old MEC from 'Keag to Bangor....I left Freeport at 5 am and made it up north in a couple hours - no trains heard on the scanner - but I took great pleasure in scoping oput the old trackwork and towns along the way. I need to look back at the notes as I sure I have alot of questions to start posting here. Enough lurking! Anyhoo the trackage in this part was very bad and now I realize why 10 MPH is a safe speed up here. The mill looked to be quite busy and I am not sure how the PAS is about walking around (I did not even try to at NMJ).

I have been doing this for years now - making maps and taking pics of railroads - not just trains....So far in Maine ...2009 Newport to Waterville...2010 'Keag to Bangor/NMJ....2011 Leeds Jct to Rumford...2012 ???? -The big Delorme and I are great friends....of course I did up Portland vacinity way back in '99....

BTW Freeport Library has a great RR book collection - I check them all out when in town from Flat Rock, MI for my two week stay on Wolfesneck.

later
Shawn
 #1008362  by JB283

I would love to see some more shots from between Bangor/NMJ and Keag. I grew up in winn, about 3 to 5 miles or so from keag. I was home on in 2009 for 1.5 months and i got a ton of pics too. I just dont have them all posted.
 #1008490  by jwhite07

I have no idea where they might be now, but I took a few photos along the stretch where the tracks parallel Military Road there in Winn in 1990 or 91, while I was dating a young lady in Mattawamkeag. B&M blue GP-9s waaaay up in the soul of Maine Central territory... gotta dig those pictures up someday!
 #1008536  by jjoyce1

JB283 wrote:Did he say anything about inbound rail?
They do get Sodium Chlorate in those funky silver hoppers, originating at Magog, QC on the MMA (interchanged via NMJ to the ST). Not sure about other commodities but I've traced Magog origin cars going to Lincoln (among other Maine mills on the ST).

JAJ
 #1008593  by soday

Hello - it seems that empty chlorate hoppers (aluminum?) seem to take a circuitous route to get back from Lincoln....From looking at the pics and reading the captions from Jason S. it appears that these cars are picked up at Lincoln on a NB PAR (BAMA?) , taken north to Keag, only to return south to NMJ. That move would eliminate a runaround move at Lincoln.

Several (3-4) of these cars were spotted on the PORU that I witnessed last July.
 #1008702  by newpylong

jjoyce1 wrote:
JB283 wrote:Did he say anything about inbound rail?
They do get Sodium Chlorate in those funky silver hoppers, originating at Magog, QC on the MMA (interchanged via NMJ to the ST). Not sure about other commodities but I've traced Magog origin cars going to Lincoln (among other Maine mills on the ST).

JAJ

Sodium Chlorate also comes off the D&H out of Saratoga.
 #1008809  by JB283

((("That move would eliminate a runaround move at Lincoln."))) I cant imagine that the 2 sidings by the mill are in any shape to have a GP40 or 2 do a run around move on them. From every pic i have seen and taken myself, the one infront of the station looks like it might work, but i wouldnt hold my breath, the other one up the tracks on the same side of the station i can not speak for as i have only seen it once, years ago.

MR. JWhite07, I would love to see some of those pics. I use to live across the street from the end of the military road in Winn going to towards Keag. If i would have realized what i was seeing in the 1980s and early 1990s as a kid and a teen, i would have had a camera. Its amazing the things i would do over again if i had the chance....
 #1020757  by JB283

I read in another forum on this site that Lincoln Pulp & Tissue recently shipped 1 boxcar of outbound product not to long ago for the first time in years.