Railroad Forums 

• Lift Rings?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#343022  by BSOR Patarak

That depends on what type of "lift rings" you are referring to. Most of the models have jack lugs located about the middle of each truck on both sides. These are welded to or are an intergal part of the frame and are designed for either jacking underneath or lifting. Some were designed to take cable slings to pick the whole body/frame up together. I know the S series have them, the RS's and the Centuries. Actually, since I am thinking about it, I can't remember seeing any that didn't have them.

Is there a specific type lift ring you were asking about? There are also other mechanisims for lifting whole engine blocks, main generators or hood sections off.

Pat Connors
Buffalo Southern Railroad

#343100  by tgibson

Hi,

In railfan jargon, lift rings most commonly denote the loops on top of the locomotive hoods used for lifting them off.

Most all Alco hood units had them, AFAIK. The dynamic brake and engine hatches on cab units might also have them, but I have no photos here to check.

A pic of an RS11 with lift rings visible:

An RSD4 demonstrator with the rings just visible on the top of the hood:

Hope this helps,