• Lehigh Valley Survivors

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by scottychaos

hmmm..
well it certainly looks like a LV SW8..it has the dynamic brake hump.
too bad we cant quite make out the Conrail number..

I have a SW8 #780 listed under "mysteries" on the survivor page.

LV SW8m 273 - Midwest Metallics, formerly Calumet Shearing, Chicago IL ex CR 8687 - was there in 1998.
info from the book "Comprehensive Guide to Industrial Locomotives" 1998 edition also listed as "Scrap Corp of America 780" from another source.

LV 273 is Conrail 8687..

googling CR 8687 brings up:

"MIDWEST METALLICS (130th St., formerly Pielet Brothers, Inc.) SW8/#8687 ex-Conrail"

Midwest Metallics?..notice the MM on the cab? :P

thats her!
and actually, now that I know the CR number is supposed to be 8687, I can actually make that number out on the cab! :)

new survivor found!
thanks Ryan!

Scot

by PRRGuy

Well, this was the loco I was talking about a few months ago..I pass this everyday on my trains..One of these days I'll get out there and get my own shots of it.

Ryan

by TB Diamond

Definitely a lock. My notes, garnered over the years from X2200 S plus TSL give the following information on CR 8687: Retired 25 Sept. 1990. Sold to AG Processing as their number 6. Shipped 01/94. Shows up at Midwest Metallics M/96. MM2 painted on cab. Neat that it is still extant.
  by scottychaos

Update to the survivors list!

LV U23B 510 is now stored at RMDI in Pittston, PA, along with derelict sister 511.

Plans for 510 are currently unknown..
She is now BDLX 2786, is in decent shape (as far as I know), and last operated in 2006.
Recent photos of 510 and 511 have been added to their respective places on the page:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~scottychaos ... tives.html

And I just did a big update on LV 1000, the dining car:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~scottychaos ... other.html
LV 1000 was just sold.. but there has been no news yet as to her fate..

thanks,
Scot
  by charlie6017

Nice work, Scot! ;-)
  by railroadcarmover

Hey Scott. I have some feedback for you.

The former LV SW8 ( ex CR 8671 ) that was over at NJ Steel ( now Gerdau Ameristeel )in Sayreville NJ was scrapped in the late 90's. It had been their primary plant unit but had been replaced by another unit due to it being in poor condition.
The prime mover from it was taken out and donated to a Tech School and the rest of the unit was scrapped on site. The resultant scrap metal was used in the electric furnace to make rebar.
This info was given to me by the locomotive mechanic contractor who serviced and repaired ( and still does ) the mill's fleet of locomotives. He is also the person I bought the FM H12-44 #1845 from in 2003.
  by scottychaos

railroadcarmover wrote:Hey Scott. I have some feedback for you.

The former LV SW8 ( ex CR 8671 ) that was over at NJ Steel ( now Gerdau Ameristeel )in Sayreville NJ was scrapped in the late 90's. It had been their primary plant unit but had been replaced by another unit due to it being in poor condition.
The prime mover from it was taken out and donated to a Tech School and the rest of the unit was scrapped on site. The resultant scrap metal was used in the electric furnace to make rebar.
This info was given to me by the locomotive mechanic contractor who serviced and repaired ( and still does ) the mill's fleet of locomotives. He is also the person I bought the FM H12-44 #1845 from in 2003.
Thanks for the update!
I will add it to the page..

Scot
  by scottychaos

Another update!

LV SW8 262, most recently known as Wellsboro & Corning No. 800,
was not part of the W&C-TIOC sale in 2007, and she returned to owner North Shore.

North Shore repainted her a few months ago, in a somewhat LV-esque red and yellow!
she is now North Shore 774.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 18&nseq=43

Scot
  by roadster

Just an FYI, while in Albany, Ny weds. 11/26, I passed by the CP yard by the express way just west of the river near downtown, and saw CP 7306 sitting on their engine track. My records show CP 7306 was LV 319.
  by gravelyfan

Reports on Trainorders.com western board about an ex LV S1, headed to the Hudson Terminal Railroad in Hudson, CO (northeast of Denver), traveling on a flat car. Apparently was seen in LaJunta, CO on 1/17. As reported on TO: Lehigh Valley Alco S1 117 - sold 1969 to Goldkist corp. last reported as Vulcan Materials #5789 (Geismar LA) 1978.
  by TB Diamond

The Hudson, CO concern is a railcar repair facility served by the BNSF. Will check it out when I return home this spring.