Railroad Forums 

• LED lighting on locomotives?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1000526  by lvrr325

I notice a lot of units lately with bright white lights for the step lights on the ends and sides of units lately and wonder if they're going over to LED-type bulbs for these locations? The color is noticable over the regular incandescent. Headlights remain as normal -
 #1000540  by sd80mac

lvrr325 wrote:I notice a lot of units lately with bright white lights for the step lights on the ends and sides of units lately and wonder if they're going over to LED-type bulbs for these locations? The color is noticable over the regular incandescent. Headlights remain as normal -

they're using led lights for board numbers now. 900 series have them. not sure about 800 series.

I saw one of 7600 or 7800 had led boardnumber 2 weeks ago or so. Seems that they're replacing regular blubs with led lights. I think it was one of these ex cr...
 #1001190  by roadster

As a matter of Environmental and economics CSX policy now is to replace all incandesent bulbs for locomotive instrument panels and auxilary lighting to HI LEDs as replacement is needed.
 #1001373  by RussNelson

If you don't over-drive them (out of spec), LEDs have no known lifetime. Besides saving the cost of the (tenth the price) bulb, the electricity powering the bulb, and the time of the person replacing them, you also lose the cost of the indicator being out of service, possibly disabling the locomotive, for want of a 50 cent bulb. A $5 LED looks CHEAP by comparison. They'll be in the headlights soon enough, too.
 #1015226  by Dan Messer

Actually yes, you are seeing LED LIGHTS on the ground and step, as well as number board applications on locomotives.

Our company, DIvvali Lighting, with KE RAILHEAD are behind the product, and yes, we are excited to say that LED headlights are on the way.
 #1038989  by farecard

On GA aircraft, landing lights don't last long because of the vibration.
There are HID lamp systems that have no filament, ergo don't care had hard you shake it.
I'm surprised such is not used for locomotive headlamps as well.
 #1039017  by farecard

Steve F45 wrote:VIA in Canada has been adding HID long range lights to there P40's. Its a single 8" light above the headlights.
I'd guess you'll see HID headlamps + LED marker/indicator uses before you see LED headlamps.
 #1039082  by EDM5970

I believe the bulk of the lighting on the new British steamer Tornado is LED, including the headlights added per modern practice. They had a pretty extensive website, which I studied a few years ago.