Railroad Forums 

• last rs-1 unit?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1157395  by airman00

I got the nysw historical society calender and saw a photo of the #240 operating in 1992. I didn't know any rs-1's made it that long. When was the last rs1 finally off the property? Seems a shame there all gone, by the looks of that photo the #240 was in great shape. I also thought the #252 was also in good shape, why get rid of them?
 #1157448  by charlie6017

240 still survives today! Courtesy of Scot Lawrence (scottychaos)

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1928/rs1no240jn3.jpg

According to Scot's website, it was sold in 1984, presumably to the Tioga Central

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Scotty ... squehanna/

While these RS's may have been dependable and appear to be running well, it was not have been economically prudent
for the railroad to continue patching them up. Being that these RS's were built in 1945 and still operating at 39 years of age.
Even our 10 year old cars can nickel & dime us to death......imagine a 39 year old engine that by then probably had the guts
run out of them? ;-)

Don't get me wrong---I love me some Alcos!

Charlie
 #1157546  by airman00

According to the suzy-Q society calender, the photo in question was taken in little ferry yard in 1992. Unless the date of the picture is wrong. Anyway that #240 looks in BAD shape. :( At least she's still intact though. And for that matter it's too bad they couldn't save the #252 somehow, someway. After all it was the bicentennial unit.
 #1157695  by scottychaos

240 was operating in 1992..but not with the Susquehanna.
She was sold to the Tioga Central in 1984.

She was in yellow jacket paint until 1990, when the Tioga Central painted her up in the "original" NYSW
Maroon & Creme paintscheme that she still wears today.

238 and 252 were the last two RS1's owned by NYSW, both were scrapped about 1988.

Scot
 #1157698  by scottychaos

Here are the last two (238 and 252) stored in Binghamton in 1985 and 1987:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1053833

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1198663

(I saw and photographed them myself during those years!)
Im not sure when they last operated, but it was probably about '84 or '85. (perhaps even earlier)
they were stored in Binghamton from '85 to '88, but I dont think they operated during those years.
they look pretty good in the photos! but that is probably a case of "looks can be deceiving"..
they look good only because they have fairly recent paint! ;)
Internally they were probably worn out..

The five Alco C430's arrived in 1983, then the twelve SD45's in 1986!
There was no any use for the old RS1's, and in the late 80's there was no other market for them, so sadly they went to scrap.

Scot
 #1157864  by charlie6017

Great Info, Scot.........I was hoping you would see this topic. ;-)

The RS-1s were aesthetically a great looking engine. To me, they resemble the Baldwin DS 4-4-1000 like
the LV 200. The RS-1 has a higher roof, which is the biggest difference.

Charlie
 #1157938  by L&HR C&S

252 was operating on the ex L&HR in the spring of 1986, just prior to the start of the Sparta project.
 #1158119  by airman00

L&HR C&S wrote:252 was operating on the ex L&HR in the spring of 1986, just prior to the start of the Sparta project.
In the thread topic about #206 someone posted about the #252 almost being sent out to rescue the 206 when she suffered one of her breakdowns in 1985? (that is until some idiot broke all her cab windows) So she was running in 1985 that much I know, so 1986 makes sense that she'd still be kicking around. :)
 #1158540  by NYSW3022

This year's TH&S calender was shoddily done and contains several date errors. One of the months has the 1802 and another engine, the date claims to be 1882. Any date listed in the calender is highly suspect.
 #1158795  by njmidland

As I recall, the 240 was sold to an individual associated with the Tioga Central, not the TC itself. Both the 238 and the 252 operated after 240 left the NYS&W. I believe the 252 was lasted used for the once a week Sparta Jct. to Warwick run that operated before the Butler to Sparta Jct. segment was reopened. The 238 was probably the last RS-1 operated by DO as it was being used on the Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley to handle the very limited freight still operating on that line. I know that the 252 was in rough shape but the 238 was pretty decent. At the time I wish they would have let people know before they were scrapped - there were a couple of places that would have purchased the 238 (and possibly the 252 for parts).

I was under the impression that the 240 has not operated in a long, long time.
 #1158821  by scottychaos

njmidland wrote:As I recall, the 240 was sold to an individual associated with the Tioga Central, not the TC itself.
possibly..but I dont think so. I think she went directly to the TC in 1988.
The confusion about who exacty owned locomotives in those early days stems from the fact that the Tioga Central
didnt officially exist, with that name, until 1987..before that there was the "Tioga Transportation Museum" in Flemingville,
and when the Amtrak RS1's arrived in 1986, their reporting marks said TTM (Tioga Transportation Museum),
but really they were destined for the Tioga Central..
So that era 1986 to 1988 was a confusing one, as far as "name of owner" goes..
But by 1988, when the 240 arrived, I think she came directly to the Tioga Central.

I have the full story here:
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/Owego/

njmidland wrote:I was under the impression that the 240 has not operated in a long, long time.
True..she has been stored in Wellsboro, PA for many a year.
at least a decade, probably longer.
actually, I dont know if she has ever operated since the move to Wellsboro! which was 1994.
Its possible the 240 hasnt operated in 20 years..

Scot
 #1160115  by dano23

The 240 actually went to the Valley Railroad in Connecticut before going to the Tioga Central.
 #1231651  by Missyg24

I grew up an hr from the TCRR's Owego based train route & when they moved to PA to just outside Wellsboro was an hour away. They never ran this unit from my memory. I have been to see the unit recently about mid October for my bday & i showed my bf the area, he has never seen an area like Wellsboro. I stumbled upon this unit & the other former TCRR unit in LV paint scheme. Along with a few old cars & the station that still stands. I tried to get it this unit, no luck. I wondered if the cab was still the same after all these years.. I would love to see this unit run... Found 1 of the number boards loose, have it with me now.
 #1231676  by scottychaos

Missyg24 wrote:I grew up an hr from the TCRR's Owego based train route & when they moved to PA to just outside Wellsboro was an hour away. They never ran this unit from my memory. I have been to see the unit recently about mid October for my bday & i showed my bf the area, he has never seen an area like Wellsboro. I stumbled upon this unit & the other former TCRR unit in LV paint scheme. Along with a few old cars & the station that still stands. I tried to get it this unit, no luck. I wondered if the cab was still the same after all these years.. I would love to see this unit run... Found 1 of the number boards loose, have it with me now.
so..you stole the number board?

Scot
 #1231782  by charlie6017

Missyg24 wrote:I tried to get in this unit, no luck. I wondered if the cab was still the same after all these years.. I would love to see this unit run... Found 1 of the number boards loose, have it with me now.