Railroad Forums 

• Last in RI livery

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#431031  by N. Todd

What was the last unit to be repainted from "The Rock" scheme and when?
 #626949  by RockIslandU33B

There remains an SW-1 sitting outside the DeBruce grain elevators in Plainview Tx as of last spring (2008) that retains it's RI Maroon and Yellow. The paint is peeling badly and has revealed the as delivered black and white scheme underneath in places. It was obviously patched at some point during its post-rock life, though this patch paint has nearly all faded away to reveal the original Rock Island speed lettering. As recent at 2004 there were a pair of SW1500's sitting outside the National Railway Equipment shops in Silvis (how fitting!). They were in plain sight and easily photographed. At some point in the last 2 or 3 years they were rebuilt and repainted. Rumor has NREX 942 sent to Korea, though little evidence has surfaced to support this position. So, as far as i can see, the only unit remaining in "original" RI pain would be the SW1 in plainview. Now rumor had this unit to have been purchased by the folks at the Iowa Northern out of Manly Ia (another former Rock haunt!) for the purposes of a Rock Island museum in the works. Last i heard of this idea was in late 2007, since then the I.N. has suffered a catastrophic bridge washout embargoing half of the railroad just in time for the economy to tank and gas prices to plummet (lessening the drive for Ethanol, a big part of I.N.'s future?) so who knows whats to come of that plan. They has purchased land and some equiptment for the museum from what i hear, so there may remain a future for it. On another note, there is a former Rock GP9 in the museum here in Union Il. that we picked up from the UP that had been sitting in Janesville Wi for years. This unit retains its Rock blue on the cab under the all-weather window installed by CNW, kinda neat! There are several spots of chipping maroon, blue and yellow from its various RI incarnations that can be found on the inside of the hood doors and handles!