Railroad Forums 

• Last Call for Alco S6's

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#482148  by johnjohn

If anyone is interrested in these two S6's that I have, please contact me. Due to lack of funds, I will be scrapping them as of Jan. 1. I don't want to see these scrapped, but I have no choice. I am asking $30,000 for the pair, but will entertain offers. Please call if interrested.

John Lockhart
512-734-1511

S-6

#482636  by rail21

John Before you scrap these units PM me.

#483270  by GOLDEN-ARM

Like John said in his post.

#484055  by johnjohn

I have pictures of these units, if anyone is interrested, just let me know and I can e mail them to you. One was running as of 3 years ago and the other one does not run. The trucks would have to be changed on them, so the easiest way to get them would be on a flat car. The engine serial number on the one that runs is 6835. The engine enclosures are locked on the one that does not run, and I have not had a chance to get into it to get any numbers off, but I do have the numbers off of the couplers. They are:125 on one end and 218 on the other also, 1037S1359 came up on both trains. The smaller numbers on the one that runs is 189 and 190.

#486096  by Alcoman

Time is almost up.......Any updates on these?

#486377  by GOLDEN-ARM

I hooked up John with a "seller", who consigns locos, and he seems to have contacted them.

#490196  by Alcoman

GOOD NEWS! They have been sold! :-D
Sold to a dealer in Alabama.

#490628  by Luther Brefo

Alcoman wrote:GOOD NEWS! They have been sold! :-D
Sold to a dealer in Alabama.
Awesome! Let's hope this mystery purchaser did not buy them to scrap them but instead for some more S6 friendly purpose.

#491179  by BR&P

I hate to say it but Alabama is where the parts dealer is from who is buying ALCOs all over the country and parting them out for oil service rigs etc. If I'm not mistaken that's who bought up the Knox & Kane RS36 and we know what happened to that! I hope I'm wrong but don't be shocked if that turns out to be the case.

#491443  by RS-3

If so lets hope someone goes after the pair of RB trucks*. (Which the dealer probably isn't as interested in.) (*I think one of these had RB's right?)

RS

#491532  by Alcoman

RS-3 wrote:If so lets hope someone goes after the pair of RB trucks*. (Which the dealer probably isn't as interested in.) (*I think one of these had RB's right?)

RS
Wrong S-6-These have FB trucks on both units. The one with RB trucks was sold to a guy in California.

#493877  by Alcoman

BR&P wrote:I hate to say it but Alabama is where the parts dealer is from who is buying ALCOs all over the country and parting them out for oil service rigs etc. If I'm not mistaken that's who bought up the Knox & Kane RS36 and we know what happened to that! I hope I'm wrong but don't be shocked if that turns out to be the case.
UPDATE: Dixie Locomotive of Alabama bought the S-6's and have parted them out. BR&P has hit the nail on the head on this one.

#494056  by BR&P

Yes - those are the folks. The truth of the matter is that in today's market, most 251-engined Alcos are worth MORE money parted out than as running locomotives. If a unit is healthy and in active service, the railroad will probably not choose to sell it. As soon as there are problems, or if a company such as the sugar plant no longer needs a loco, chances are we will be seeing a lot more of this activity. This company recently was actively calling railroads known to have Alco power to see if they would be interested in selling. Their man I talked to is sympathetic to the love of Alcos - he expressed regret at scrapping some alligators or baby alligators (I forget which) - but it's a business and they are in it to make money - period!