Railroad Forums 

• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1623050  by photobug56

Hopefully. So, perhaps moving on, 1. how difficult will the tunnel rebuild be, and 2. will it be capable of having 2 tracks? I thought I'd heard that most of the restoration only includes 1 track, but that was a while ago.
 #1623062  by cjvrr

That article was from January. All tree clearing seems to have been completed by April 1.

Work is progressing on a small culvert at this time. Once the culvert is in place construction equipment will be able to access the tunnel.
Dcell wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:49 pm Work suspended for endangered bat season? https://www.tapinto.net/towns/roxbury/s ... nd-andover
 #1625347  by Gilbert B Norman

What is the need to shorten the Roseville tunnel at all?

We've established here that Hootie the Owl and Bacardi the Bat call the tunnel home. But when trains and their 100db engines start going through there, might they consider themselves "displaced"?
 #1625349  by CharlieL

I believe the tunnel shortening is to comply with federal regulations concerning the length of an unventilated tunnel. If they did not shorten it they would have needed to provide some form of ventilation. Cheaper to cut off a hundred feet or so.
 #1625361  by west point

CharlieL wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:46 pm I believe the tunnel shortening is to comply with federal regulations concerning the length of an unventilated tunnel. If they did not shorten it they would have needed to provide some form of ventilation. Cheaper to cut off a hundred feet or so.
It may be fire codes come into play? If longer then an escape shaft or separate escape tunnel might have been needed somewhere near middle of tunnel length. Remember Gateway is 2 bores to allow escape to other bore in case of emergency every 800 feet or so.
 #1625452  by Roadgeek Adam

Tunnel is 1,024ft long. They are apparently only cutting about 24ft out.