• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by NJTRailfan

As far as the tunnel under the Hudson being a "threat" I know it's not a threat. Even the NJT conductors, engineers on the trains I was on stated that it's much needed and they hope it will come on line soon to ease the bottle neck. That'll be the only reason they understand if that project comes before cutoff. Qutie understandable. now what is a threat is that the Meadowlands Station came beofre the Cutoff. That really angered quite a few of those guys seeign that cutoff and electrifcation projects were on the list long before the Meadowlands Station yet this got priority and now it's about half way completed. It makes very little sense esp now that the Devils will move to Newark once their stadium there is completed and so will the Nets but to Brooklyn. The only teams left would be the Jets and Giants and then you have the horse races and an occassional convention with some rock concerts or a WWE Wrestling Event.

According to them NJ Tax Payers got hookwinked on that one. The cutoff along with that electrification of Dover-PM Yard as well as the Boonton Line must be addressed and only then the M&E and Boonton Lines can move more efficiently and be prepared for the Cutoff Service.

Enough is enough with this "It only benifits PA residents garbage"! NJ residents will benifit as well with the less cars on the highway and more trains to take them in and out of the city without having to change at most one time and very little delays plus the environmental quality in NJ will vastly improve.

by northjerseybuff

I know..I thought I saved the darn letter..dopey me didn't!! what a poor job on my part. Well several others on this list received a letter similar to mine over the summer stating NJT did submit the environmental study to the feds.
Feds have to assess and release their results soon..by may 1st 2007. it either gets a high favor or not. if it does the funds get released and the project gets moved ahead into the next stage.
If it doesn't get a high favorable rating, then NJT makes corrections and resubmits it for the 2008 deadline. How much ya wanna bet THAT is what happens!

by northjerseybuff

NJTRAILFAN- I agree with your post 100% meadowlands station is silly at this point with the devils/nets both moving out. Shoulda been done 30 years ago! but thats NJ for ya. I visited the Mount Arlington station site a few months ago and talked to some NJT crews. They are ALL for it. the one guy stated many many guys want to see it, as they all live over the border in PA. the guy told me, its only a matter of time. it will happen, they don't know when.
I found a NJDOT site with ALL rail projects listed and in no order. along with the meadowlands station, how does the HBLR get more funding to extend another mile to 8th st bayonne before the cutoff??? is it these are smaller projects and dont cost as much money? There were about 15 altogether on this list from earlier this year..3 are already moving ahead-mt. arlington, meadowlands and 8th ave HBLR extension..the biggies are all still on there..MOM, Cutoff, West Trenton, Northern, NYSW.
I think NJTs biggest problem is which one to do. in reality the cutoff is small-28 miles of rebuilding. Its not like MOM where a WHOLE line is being rebuilt or any of the others.

by Frogger

northjerseybuff wrote:NJTRAILFAN- I agree with your post 100% meadowlands station is silly at this point with the devils/nets both moving out. Shoulda been done 30 years ago! but thats NJ for ya.
the thing is the PANYNJ wanted the extension to the Meadowlands built and they're paying 100% of the cost. Therefore you can't compare the two projects because the PANYNJ has no interest in the Cutoff. Now if NJT had funded the Meadowlands station that is another issue.

by geoffand

northjerseybuff wrote:I know..I thought I saved the darn letter..dopey me didn't!! what a poor job on my part. Well several others on this list received a letter similar to mine over the summer stating NJT did submit the environmental study to the feds.
Feds have to assess and release their results soon..by may 1st 2007. it either gets a high favor or not. if it does the funds get released and the project gets moved ahead into the next stage.
If it doesn't get a high favorable rating, then NJT makes corrections and resubmits it for the 2008 deadline. How much ya wanna bet THAT is what happens!
So on May 1, 2007 (not January) we will know whether this project can proceed? If that is true, who's arm needs to be twisted at the federal level to get this project a high-favorable?

Anyone else have the letter? It would be nice to have for reference in this thread.

northjerseybuff: how could you lose a letter like that? Just imagine 50 years from now being able to show fellow railfans a letter from NJT concerning the re-activation of the Cutoff. Your surviving family members 100 years from now could sell it on e-Bay (since bought by Wal-Mart, later renamed Uni-Mart) for big $$.

by Steve F45

panynj should be interested in the cutoff. If they had diesel service on the cutoff that means more passengers to use the path from hoboken. THey'de be benefitting from it aswell.

by northjerseybuff

I know..I can't believe I lost it. I believe blockline4180 recieved one as well. I might have printed it out and put it somewhere. Thought I saved it to the files. All it said was that NJT thanks me for supporting this project and that they submitted their environmental study on June 1st to the feds. I'll try to find it tomorrow and paraphrase
As for the release from the feds. It very well could come out in January or anytime up until May 1st. Sometimes it leaks out to the papers. I do know Scranton is betting the ranch on it getting done soon, as their new transportation center(with rail to Hoboken) is going to start in the spring of 2007.

by geoffand

2005Vdub wrote:panynj should be interested in the cutoff. If they had diesel service on the cutoff that means more passengers to use the path from hoboken. THey'de be benefitting from it aswell.
Dual-modes are coming! Dual-Modes are coming!

Even the Portal EIS Scoping Document mentions dual-modes. PANYNJ isn't so stupid to put up big $$ for a project like this when NJT is touting dual-modes and one-seat rides in the near future. I wouldn't blame them.

by Irish Chieftain

PANYNJ and NJT are very intertwined. For years, NJT has operated equipment owned by the Port Authority. However, it's still too soon to predict exactly what will happen even five years down the road.

by Steve F45

geoffand wrote:Dual-modes are coming! Dual-Modes are coming!
i'll believe it when i see it.

by geoffand

Irish Chieftain wrote:PANYNJ and NJT are very intertwined. For years, NJT has operated equipment owned by the Port Authority. However, it's still too soon to predict exactly what will happen even five years down the road.
Actually you bring up a good point. The PANYNJ is putting up money for THE Tunnel, and, they put up money for the multi-levels. The question is, what is in it for them? Politics?

Even so, aside from THE Tunnel, has the PANYNJ funded any NJT system expansion project? I consider THE Tunnel to be a special case, after all, PANYNJ specializes in tunnels and bridges... :-)

by Tom V

geoffand wrote:
Irish Chieftain wrote:up money for the multi-levels. The question is, what is in it for them? Politics?

Even so, aside from THE Tunnel, has the PANYNJ funded any NJT system expansion project? I consider THE Tunnel to be a special case, after all, PANYNJ specializes in tunnels and bridges... :-)
They funded the Waterfront connection, they are paying for all the improvements to Hoboken Terminal and the Ferry Slips. They paid for 150 Bi-levels.

They will not pay for the Cut-off as it's outside the 50 mile perimeter that they are allowed to invest, it also involves Pennsylvania which is not a part of the Port Authority of NY and NJ.

by lensovet

i'd like to point out that they are called PANYNJ...so you know, it's part of their name.

by geoffand

Tom V killed the notion of PANYNJ being interested in the Cutoff from a funding perspective by bringing up the 50 mile radius limitations on investments. Oh well...

So, the question remains, who at the federal level decides the ultimate fate of the Cutoff, and how do we make sure voices are heard? Corzine? Lautenberg? NJ-ARP?

It seems like if any grass roots movement is needed, this is the time. Once it gets a low priority (or favorable)--its too late.

Letters to the editor will only go so far, at some point politicians will need to feel like their vote rests on whether they can push through a project the majority of the population is passionate about. Question is, how do you make the right people aware? NJT certainly isn't pushing it hard. When is the last time they did a press release on the Cutoff alone? It is almost like this project is being set up to fail. Not good.

by Jtgshu

Contact any and all of the above - you can't get much more pro-rail than Monmouth and Ocean counties have been for MOM, and the local media as well pushing for the service. And the project is creeping right along with the Cutoff

I wouldn't expect a real groundswell of support to suddenly put the Cutoff on the fast track. I think the next thing that will get any of these projects moving is the solving of the Transportation Trust Fund issue, in a permament manner. The clock is ticking on the TTF, down to about 4 years now left on this "life support" cash/life infusion.