• LA&L, WNYP, B&H Train Movements 2008

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by Lfire83

apologies for the misinformation.

by railwatcher

hbgdispatcher wrote:
Lfire83 wrote:the NS Buffalo line is fully signalled, and is controlled by the buffalo line dispatcher from Buffalo to Driftwood. From DFT south the Harrisburg DS dispatches.
These are the same dispatcher, the NS Buffalo Line dispatcher based out of Harrisburg still dispatches the entire Buffalo Line, from Harrisburg to Buffalo.
Thank you, both. For the information, it makes sense. Maybe someday it will change, north of Driftwood.

Greg

by boblenon

4/9/08 - southbound @ east river rd ~4:45pm.

by Mike Walsh

420 and 425 left Lakeville at around 810hrs, bound for Avon. I left around 930 to go home and nap before work.
  by Luther Brefo

CSX Q366-16 was working Genesee Junction this afternoon into the early evening. They picked up 21 cars. Their arrival was sometime shortly before 5 PM. Departure was minutes after 7 PM. They had some issue with cars on Track 2 and Track 3. Dispatcher was called and informed. Dispatcher says he will inform the "Chief of *scrambled*" Could this mean that Genesee Junction will finally get the attention it needs?

This by way of scanner.
  by Mike Walsh

Luther Brefo wrote:CSX Q366-16 was working Genesee Junction this afternoon into the early evening. They picked up 21 cars. Their arrival was sometime shortly before 5 PM. Departure was minutes after 7 PM. They had some issue with cars on Track 2 and Track 3. Dispatcher was called and informed. Dispatcher says he will inform the "Chief of *scrambled*" Could this mean that Genesee Junction will finally get the attention it needs?

This by way of scanner.
All three tracks in GJ are now operational. The road train crossed the river at 5:20pm. I chased 'em all the way home, and ran into "mp366" along the way.

photos forthcoming.

zee photos as promised:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=231953
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=231952
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=231951

good day, gents!
Mike

by Luther Brefo

I wonder what all the fuss was about then...?

by pablo

Luther, is that junction still awful? I don't know how often you get in there, but the last time I was in there, I got the distinct sense it needed to be fixed or shut down.

Dave Becker

by Mike Walsh

I'm not sure. I know it's probably not FIXED as in LAL-quality. However, it's fixed to the point that they can switch in the Junction successfully, both LAL and CSX (and R&S if needed).

As for the CSX switching issue, I couldn't tell ya, I was busy chasing them south :)

by railwatcher

4/18/08 LAL #425 and #420 were in Avon, I believe the were doing local work, and later headed back to Lakeville after 3pm with 4 covered hoppers. Some covered hoppers that were from Barilla, are staged on the Avon Industrial, for later pickup.

by alsorailfan

Nice pictures Mike.

At Papermill Rd., there were gondolas there. Are they there for the stick rails? If not, what other purposes?

Also a few weeks ago when I got a chance to walk up to GJ, I was surprised to see a lot of ties were replaced. However a couple of times when I was at East River Rd. waiting for waiting for the CSX to leave, they seemed to have trouble with the switches. Sounds like the quick patching up job isn't going to do it. And the whole yard/switches needs to be revamped...mainly getting rid of the mud and using real ballast (and if there are any now..can't tell for the mud...). Will admit as seen in the March photos (as posted earlier on this thread) that there wasn't a problem switching or excessive car rocking. That's just my two cents....

chris

by Mike Walsh

While this is my opinion, it is not to be taken as a fact, unless someone can confirm it..

I think that CSX can operate within the JCT with care successfully. I think what really gives them problems is the mainline switch which diverges into the Junction. I might be mistaken, but I think it's a remotely controlled switch (it might have a local control, also). If it's RC, then it would require the dispatcher to open it up for them. As a result, they have to call the dispatcher and get their attention enough to open up (or close up) the switch.

Again, just take this as my thought. I won't be quoted -- if you quote me, you're on your own :)

by boblenon

The switch into Genesee JCT is locally controlled -the CSX jobs has to stop unlock and throw them. It is electrically sensed - so the dispatcher knows its open/close. They need to talk to the dispatcher to get permission into the yard - along with blocking the Westshore - essentially it is the Local's until they are done.

The LAL needs to get permission to enter the yard as well - after all it isn't their's - But I do not recall if that switch is electronically monitored.

by Luther Brefo

OK,

Some work has been done in the yard but not enough to make it wonderful just yet. Progress is good though. If I recall correctly the Westshore switch into the Junction is actually powered as well as local control. When the 418 was being delivered last summer, I recall the conductor had to satisfy several several conditions, including completing the circuit to allow it to be manually actuated unless he was just pulling my leg. The ladder at the Junction has always been in better condition than the body of the yard itself though. And with all of the work that has been put into the Westshore in the last year perhaps the Junction is next?

It might get all new ties and all new rail but some stone would help with the mud and mud pumping when it is wet out. And luckily there are no Big Blue boxcars in the way for the time anyways. :)

Gotta do more research on this.

by railwatcher

So where does the LAL line start/end coming into GJ? Is it at the entrance of the yard or back where the LAL line merges next to the Westshore (mortimer junction)? IF the the LAL has to get permission to travel, do the they ask for it before crossing Jefferson Rd. or as they run parallel to the Westshore? It escapes me why they do not have a tie in to the Westshore at the east end where they start going parallel so that it could be a useful siding,too.