• L&H Memories: Growing Up Trackside...#3

  • Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

  by jmchitvt
Jack Flood gave me a choice where to ride back and I chose the caboose, because I had a plan.

Jack called the cupola seats "the gigelo" - never before, or since, had I heard that term. Has anyone else??

Maybrook is (was!!) somewhat slower in the afternoon. Most connections from the west have to be in by eleven to guarantee next morning arrival at Boston.

The three units curved around that long L&H main past BK and we climbed aboard as a shiny red L&H cabin came by. The new crew was of course friendly and we both settled in. We had a meet with a long "Grab" returning from Hudson Yard with interchange HO-6 left behind and what AO-4 would have gotten if it wasn't annulled. One unit was replaced at Warwick - I guess Maybrook and Bethlehem kept a good watch on things besides servicing the units - as the L&H ran those RS-3's to death. Little did I know that two would follow me to Vermont in less than twenty years, then a third came to the VTR by way of the SJL.

We just kept rolling along at a good pace on that superb L&H roadbed heading into the falling Sun. With my employe timetable handy I made note of all those places not to handy to get to by car - especially since a drivers license was a few years away.

Don't recall if the switcher at Franklin was still out an about, never saw anything NYSW, and the 2nd trick operator at Andover handed up the usual Mansfield Street "opposing direction" order. Got a roll by at G Tower - then slowed down and got much more sway on the Pennsy's Bel Del.

Now it was on to drop off some empty reefers for the Valley and head for the CNJ. Often there was a wait for the CNJ to allow the L&H to climb up onto their bridge since there was some passenger traffic to fit in with.

Then MY departure plan came to bear fruit. When the head end made enough of a run to get up onto the Central, then on Jack's orders they were so slow down so little Joseph could climb off the caboose EXACTLY as it rolled across Union Square in Phillipsburg onto the street pavement - the rough approaches wouldn't work!! Traffic was backed up in ALL directions, the "free bridge" was plugged with cars way into Northamption Street and a total grid lock with traffic from FOUR directions - and little Joseph jumps down proud as a peacock. The crossing guard and everyone else must have thought I was the L&H president's son!!