Railroad Forums 

• Kittery Junction

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#949598  by ihdavis1

I found this nice vintage postcard http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20110 ... 026987.jpgon the nerail photo site of Kittery Jct., Maine showing the old railroad bridge across the Piscataqua River and the "White Mountain Express". This is the bridge that collapsed under the weight of a B&M train during the construction of the current railroad bridge (Rt. 1A). Was this bridge located in the same exact location of the current bridge? And, does anyone know which stops the "White Mountain Express" would have made/it took the old PGF&C route (Conway Branch)? Also, how long would have a train like this have taken to reach the White Mountains (North Conway)?
 #949705  by edbear

The bridge in the postcard was a combination railroad/highway bridge, owned by the B & M. In construction of the Interstate Bridge in the late 1930s, the B & M bridge was being used as a construction platform.
 #962501  by ereuter

As far as the location goes, my understanding is that it was just upstream (north) of the existing Sarah Long Bridge. 3666 was dragged further upstream to get it out of the channel, and remains there (whatever is left of her).

I have a postcard showing the old bridge from the Portsmouth side. I'll try to dig it up and scan it.