Railroad Forums 

• Kerry Campaign Train

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#39449  by Gilbert B Norman

Rail Cruise has their own motive power (EMD F-units) but uses Amtrak Train & Engine crews.

However, I'm sending this topic over to Mr. Benton's Rail Travel Forum, much of Rail Cruise's equipment was acquired from sources other than Amtrak (seems to be UP).

And one last word; unless Mr. Benton's pholosophy is "a180' from mine regarding the Moderation of a Forum, stick to the TRAIN; defer to non-rail forums elsewhere regarding the other.

#39729  by AmtrakFan

I wish it was coming thru Illinois :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

AmtrakFan

#39764  by Ken W2KB

For all the campaign travel by the candidates, timelines and routing info can be had by looking at the temporary flight restrictions ("TFRs") imposed by the FAA. See WWW.FAA.GOV and you might be able to fighure out good photo opportunities.
 #40596  by Gilbert B Norman

Illinois is not a "swing state", Mr.Fan; in fact, it appears that Democratic nominee Barack Obama will be running unopposed for the US Senate.

I was out in Iowa this past weekend; TV is much more littered with campaign ads than are we. Also my friends out there report that the phone rings all too often with solicitations for campaign money (lest we forget, "do not call" is a not applicable for political parties).

Mr Benton, kill if this posting is out of line.

#40715  by David Benton

i guess its explaining why the train didnt go to Illinois .

Anyone got links to photos of the train , or a description of its consist etc ?.
 #40774  by AmtrakFan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Illinois is not a "swing state", Mr.Fan; in fact, it appears that Democratic nominee Barack Obama will be running unopposed for the US Senate.

I was out in Iowa this past weekend; TV is much more littered with campaign ads than are we. Also my friends out there report that the phone rings all too often with solicitations for campaign money (lest we forget, "do not call" is a not applicable for political parties).

Mr Benton, kill if this posting is out of line.
Mr. Norman,
Thank Youor expalning that Illinois is not a swing State It would of been cool Anyway.

AmtrakFan

#40838  by John_Perkowski

I have to wonder...

- Since Rail Cruise America is Saint Louis based,
- and the cars do look like UP (who procured from Pullman, ACF, SLCC and Budd in about that order after WWII),

Is RCA an operating entity of either ACF or the the remnant of Saint Louis Car Company?

John

#41079  by AmtrakFan

We've got the Consist
3 AMD-103's 138, 136 and 134
6 Amfleets 5 Coaches 1 Food Service
1 Ex-ATSF Coach Mojave
3 to 4 of Rail Cruise America Cars
Metis
MKT 403
This Might not be in Order

AmtrakFan
 #41154  by Gilbert B Norman

There was a short clip concerning the train on NBC Nightly News this evening. They noted that the "Two Johns' were riding the same car as Harry Truman used for his 1948 Whistle Stop tour. With a theme of "I'm Harry Truman, I work for the Government, and I want to keep my job". President Truman campaigned against New York Gov Thomas Dewey, who reportedly campaigned with a style evoking that the Presidency was "his" by default.

Well the man from the "Show Me" State showed Gov Dewey a thing or two (surely most of us have seen the photo of that Chicago Tribune proclaiming "Dewey Defeats Truman").and went on to be rated by historians as a "near great' President.

Now will "W" hit the rails????
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #41317  by Gilbert B Norman

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/06/polit ... kerry.html

The photo included within the linked article is credited to the Associated Press. Perhaps someone may locate it elsewhere and that will better answer "which car are the Candidates waving from?" and is that station from which departing St Louis Union Station or the existing Amtrak facility?
 #41785  by John_Perkowski

Gilbert B Norman wrote:(snippage) They noted that the "Two Johns' were riding the same car as Harry Truman used for his 1948 Whistle Stop tour. (snippage)
Huh???

Gil, do we have independent info that for his 1948 whistle-stop, Truman used Katy 403???

In 1948, US #1 (Pullman Ferdinand Magellan) was still in service...

I would think that a speaker-equipped, armored PV would have been how the Secret Service insisted Mr Truman get around.

John
 #41833  by Gilbert B Norman

Thank you very much, NBC

http://www.trumanlibrary.org/whistlesto ... /ld_4a.htm

Sure looks like a car (gosh, wasn't it named for some guy, uh Ferdinand?) I've seen at Gold Coast Museum located at the Miami Zoo.

Anyone care to forward this link to Tom Brokaw????
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #41922  by Gilbert B Norman

Today's New York Times has an interesting article about the now completed "whistle stop" campaign.

The most interesting portion is contained within the "Multimedia" link. Your system NEED NOT support videos in order to review.

Gee, Dad: "What does gerrymander mean?"; "What's a Swing State".

"Toto, we aren't in Kansas anymore"

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/09/polit ... gewanted=1