Railroad Forums 

• Kansas regionals

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#8443  by wess

I know that there wasa forum for theKyle Railroad in the old group. Is anyone interestedin this line? And or any other line in kansas?
 #12996  by dhaugh

What are Kyle's operations like these days in terms of train frequency, major customers, track condition?

#13167  by wess

I havent been back home in a very long time, but the pattern on the west end hasnt changed too much I think. Usually a turn starts out of Phillipsburg, and another out of Goodland,meeting at Selden and swapping consists and returning to their home temrinals. From Goodland west to Limon there is only one train, an out one day, back the next job. My dad tells me they,ve been running the trains at night mainly. Supposedly this is easier on the track.
 #18561  by spalmer

I used to live in Colby, KS (Kyle RR location).
I think it's safe to say that Kyle's entire customer base is ag-related (i.e. grain trains).

I believe they still have the former Rock's ABS signals on the ROW however, it's "dark territory".

I always thought they should sell the signal equipment to raise some $$, but maybe it's too deteriorated to have much re-sale value.

#18598  by route_rock

I got to see a Kyle train a few months back(was at 2 am) so I can say yup they run. GNBN Good news is there are those signals,bad news is Rock employees and others took out all the guts when they shut down(This was common Illinois div and Mo div so when in Rome eh?)Most of the stuff left over might be enough to buy a soda for the crew :wink:

#22471  by wess

I do know the signals from Selden, KS west to Gem, KS were removed by a former Rock Island agent, so it has looked pretty bare fro some time

#41546  by emtboo

I was out in western Kansas this past late summer/early fall sort of time and came across a Kyle train in Caruso, KS heading west. Was sorry to see lease power, former SP SD40-2T and two CN GP-40W's. Saw what was left of the Kyle power in Phillipsburg, hoods and a few noses sitting around. They also had Ex-NS C30-7's there, I think they were all Helm lease units.

#228769  by wess

It seems they cleaned the yard in P-burg up since then. No junkers around and the yard tracks have been cleaned up. The old depot is gone as well as some of the yard tracks. Same at Goodland. They have done some major trimming.
They still run at night mostly. I hear them come into Selden from both directions usually from just after dark to around 2 A.M.
 #228792  by emtboo

I was wondering if they had scrapped out the old RI cars in Goodland. I think there was a 40' and 50' box car and what was left of a 3-bay open hopper. One of the RI tender snow plows was there also when I went through back in 2003.

#230575  by wess

There is at least one RI boxcar at P'burg just east of the roundhouse, and three de-trucked 40 footers east of the Goodland Shop site.